Help! Headshots in 3 hours and no lights...

bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
edited June 26, 2009 in People
Okay before I get flamed for being unprofessional let me explain. My sister just called and wanted to know if she can come by my house and get some head shots done...in 3 hours.

Unfortunately I don't have access to my flashes or lights right now. I just thought it would be kind of fun to get some Mc-Gyver ideas from you fellow dgrinners! Collaboration, baby!

I will post back with the results later tonight. Thanks!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    ALUMINUMUM FOIL for reflectors.....one table or floor lamp no shade....100-150watt bulb.....(bare bulb).....move it around for dramatic effects......shoot outdoors (let the sunshine in...ooooh oh let the sunshine in.....):D:D:D:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    What kind of headshots, ie theatrical, or do you just mean head/shoulders portrait? Natural light shots are very "fashionable" among performers right now, so you're at no disadvantage if that's the look you're trying to create.

Regardless of purpose, just use that giant hotlight in the sky + reflectors :D

For theatrical headshots it's about personality and EYES - it needs to be about the subject's personality and look rather than the photographer's, and a good headshot absolutely engages the viewer with the person in it, makes them want to get to know them. Here's a link to a post with two fantastic articles on the subject:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=132918&highlight=performer

Not bad advice for any portraits, but absolutely vital for a performer's shots!
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Well, she got here a bit earlier than expected soo...yeah...they turned out alright. We scratched the headshot concept and just went for light, and easy portraits. It was her very first shoot ever...like I don't think she'd had her picture taken before...ever...lol. :D

All natural light...ran through Lightroom2 for post.

574177638_4rV6i-XL.jpg

574178343_CoTgo-XL.jpg

574178255_ZHETF-XL.jpg
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    These are lovely! She's beautiful.

Caroline
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gifnod.gif - very nicely done and ... WOW .... nice looking lady!

For me, the light in #1 is just so sweet - very nice!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Considering your handicap very nicely down. Watch the nose touching the outline of the cheek on the first one. Judges don't like that. Good stuff!!
  • zoinkzzoinkz Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Those turned out very nice.
    Bryan Elliott
    Nikon D3, D700, Nikkor 12-24 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8
    my blog | my website
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Very nice! (What on earth were you worried about?! ne_nau.gifdeal)

ETA: That first one with eyes back to camera and fully engaged would make a killer performer headshot in the currently popular style...
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 26, 2009
    So what did you end up doing? What ever it was, the photographs turned out well.

I can see natural light (and the reflection of something outside the window in the first). Could you have used a sheet or something to soften the light (not that it needed it)?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Wow...thanks everyone! And the tip on nose/cheek profile was a good one. I'll add that to my pre-click checklist. :)

For those who asked, here is a shot diagram. No reflectors, just plain simple light in the sky.

574662794_Az3PB-M.jpg
  • lindazgrinlindazgrin Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    These are wonderful! Great job.
    www.lindazelnio.com
    D300 l 85/1.4 l 35/2 l 50/1.8 l 70-300vr l 28-105 l tokina 17-50/2.8 l 135ais l Sb600 and sb900 l Mac