Nikkor 12-24mm Vs. 10-24mm Vs. Tokina 11-16mm

dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited March 14, 2011 in Cameras
Which of these lenses would y'all recommend?

Wondering if others here have had a similar argument and ultimately were able to make a choice.... What was it?? :help

I am wanting a super wide to complement my camera bag, but to be honest I am stuck in a bit of sensory/information overload with all that I have read. The Nikkor 12-24, 10-24 and the Tokina 11-16 all seem to have received good reviews, which is challenging my decision making abilities. :scratch

So if there are others out there like me, I would love to hear what you ended up choosing. Are you happy with your choice enough to recommend it?

Thanks,
Duke
Duke

Comments

• the supervillainthe supervillain Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    :D i am having the exact same dilemma right now!!

have to make a decision yet, (even if i did, i cant afford it now, but thats another story!)

heres my take-
    the nikon 10-24:
    -replaces the 12-24
    -cheaper build than the 12-24
    -more range than tokina

tokina 11-16
    -fast fast fast!
    -no autofocus on entry level nikon DSLRs (d40, d60, d5000)
    -sample variation has been reported. not sure if this has been fixed or not!

so i initially had my heart set on the tokina, but after reading about the problems people have had, i am little iffy on it.

if the 10-24 really does replace the 12-24, that means a price drop in the 12-24, which would be cool, because the 12-24 has received stellar reviews!

i like the idea of the longer range with the nikon, i would sell my 18-55 kit lens and have this lens and my 50mm prime, and i would be set!

i am waiting until more reviews come out for the 10-24, because i want the widest possible w/o going for fisheye :)

not sure if that will help or anything, but i had to add my 2 cents seeing as i am going through the same thing!

good luck, keep us posted
    --Craig...
    shoots things with a D80, an F1, and a Diana F+

My Gallery
    Sign the guestbook :)!!
    edited June 26, 2009
    oh i forgot to mention:

sigma is coming out with a new 10-20 that is a constant f3.5!
    not sure if its out yet, but that is another one i am waiting for some reviews on....

:D
    --Craig...

My Gallery
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    oh i forgot to mention:

sigma is coming out with a new 10-20 that is a constant f3.5!
    not sure if its out yet, but that is another one i am waiting for some reviews on....

just went to the SIGGY site and no MSRP on it yet:cry
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    i am having the exact same dilemma right now!!

Glad to see that I am not alone....:D
    Duke
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    just went to the SIGGY site and no MSRP on it yet:cry

$650
    Tim
  • HaakonHaakon Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2009
    I've had 2 copies of the Tokina 11-16. They were badly back focusing and even in manual focus I did'nt get any sharp pictures (extremely soft). My 18-200 made far better pictures.. long story short .. I gave up the Tokina. There is a long thread on Nikonians about people complaining about the Tokina. I finally went for the Nikon 10-24 and it's a faboulus lens. Some colour aberration, but not so much as the Tokina. Barrel distortion at 10 mm going to slight pincussion at 24 mm (barly noticble). Soft in the corners wide open, and some vignetting ... but forget it .. you won't notice .. the lens has a better MTF graph than the 12-24, it has the extra 2 mm and the close-up range is far better. As for the latter, I really love that the close-up range is as close as 22 cm (measured from back of your camera). I included an example of this on the Nikonians web site (check it out if you want) and in extremly short time this picture had the most views on the Macro gallery... and here it is ( somewhat compressed).
    edited June 26, 2009
    thanks haakon, thats what i feared about the tokina, i like the f2.8 but i dont want to worry about stuff like bad focusing i just want to shoot
    i think i want the 10-24 :)
    my kit lens was gathering dust, so i slapped it on and took some shots, 18mm is not wide enough for me anymore!
    --Craig...

My Gallery
  • HaakonHaakon Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2009
    f2.8 is nice, but f3.5 is not that far off. Besides if you go for the 10-24 you may find that it is attached to your camera most of the time ... At least mine is .. and if not I'm using the 85 mm f1.8. Two lenses are all that is required, one wide angle zoom and one fast prime ... and pherhaps a macro lens .. Some more issues : the focus on the 10-24 is fast and extremly silent ( I had to check on my lens if the focus ring really had turned because I did'nt hear a thing..). Also the colour saturation is better than my 18-200 (and far better than the Tokinas that were probably bad copies) ...
    edited June 27, 2009
    yup, thats what i would think would happen, i would sell my 18-55, get the 10-24, then be happy with my 50 f1.8 my 105mm macro and the 10-24
    okay, i have made my decision, what about you dixonduke?
    --Craig...

My Gallery
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    For what it's worth I just got done with a week of shooting the 14-24mm and was blown away by it. Razor sharp and just amazing on my full-frame camera.

The reviews say its the best wide angle in the world. it's so good even Canon shooters are using it with a special adapter.
    edited December 2, 2009
    yup, thats what i would think would happen, i would sell my 18-55, get the 10-24, then be happy with my 50 f1.8 my 105mm macro and the 10-24
    okay, i have made my decision, what about you dixonduke?

I took delivery of the Tokina today. Heading to Colorado in the morning to give it a test drive.......

I wish I could give you all a scientific explaination on why I chose the Tokina over the Nikkor, end the end it was just price point.
    Duke
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 2, 2009
    dixonduke wrote:
    I took delivery of the Tokina today. Heading to Colorado in the morning to give it a test drive.......

I wish I could give you all a scientific explaination on why I chose the Tokina over the Nikkor, end the end it was just price point.

Congratulations. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 3, 2009
    lets see some pics!!
    I am still in the air about this :D
    --Craig...

My Gallery
    edited December 19, 2009
    One of the first few pics I am not too embarrassed to share. I find my toes / tripod legs are in most of the shots I am taking. When held level I am very impressed. The lens does have some, what do you call it... "keystone" effect when you are not straight. This shot is not molested but for some straightening for the Christmas tree. No color, contrast or any other mods done. I am maybe 2 feet away from these light boxes when I took this.

Oh well, practice, practice, practice right.
    744567137_eSaqv-L.jpg
    Duke
    edited December 23, 2009
    awesome!
    glad you are having fun with it!

I cannot wait to get my super wide :D

hear that santa?
    --Craig...

My Gallery
    edited December 25, 2009
    A few from tonight

D90, 11-16mm (Shot at 11mm, f2.8, iso 400, flash) SOOC

749149015_Yh2e3-L.jpg

D90, 11-16mm (Shot at 11.5mm, f2.8, iso 1250, flash) SOOC

749146423_9PXoV-XL.jpg

D90, 11-16mm (Shot at 11mm, f2.8, iso 400, flash. This one I cropped and played with the levels a little bit at my attempt at post processing.

Mom & Dad just about at having their fill of my taking their picture.

749147621_xSduR-L.jpg

EDIT: More fun with the new lens.

750607358_w67Uc-L.jpg
    EXIF

750608397_qvi4Z-XL.jpg
    EXIF

750613198_hErBo-L.jpg
    EXIF
    Duke
  • sidney_jecsidney_jec Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2011
    *Bumping this thread*

so has Tokina come out with a newwer version of this lens with the necessary corrections or still the 12-24 is the lens of choice???
    edited March 10, 2011
    dixonduke wrote: »
    A few from tonight

750613198_hErBo-L.jpg
    EXIF

Did you use CPL??
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    sidney_jec wrote: »
    *Bumping this thread*

so has Tokina come out with a newwer version of this lens with the necessary corrections or still the 12-24 is the lens of choice???
    Honestly having tested most every ultra-wide out there, and seen many images from certainly EVERY ultra-wide out there, I can't say the 12-24 is the "lens of choice" any more.

Before the Tokina came out for crop, and before the 14-24 came out for FX, yeah the 12-24 was the sharpest thing on the block. It was really impressive. But the Tokina takes things to a whole new level, absolutely hands-down, and I can't recommend either the Nikon 10-24 nor the 12-24, if it is sharpness alone you are thinking about. The Tokina is just gorgeous.

I see that this thread is actually over a year old, before the Sigma 10-20 3.5 ever hit the shelves, so I thought I'd mention that after initial testing and reviews it looks like the original f/4.5-5.6 is a bit sharper in the extreme corners, even stopped down. For landscape shooters that spend all their time at f/8 anyways, I'd get the Sigma 10-20 and just hunt for a good copy.

For photojournalists who truly need the f/2.8, (And event photographers who may be stepping up to full-frame some day) ...the Tokina is champ. I mention FX also because the 11-16 works great on FX at 16mm, even with a thin filter on.

All lenses are going to be at risk for factory defects, and yeah maybe the third parties are a few % more prone, but that's never stopped me from making some AWESOME images with Tokina and Sigma glass.

At the end of the day, a serious shooter will do just fine with any of the following: (Note that I don't mention the Nikon 10-24, because I consider it to be a little less well-constructed than the 12-24...)

The Nikon 12-24, Tokina 12-24, Tokina 11-16, Sigma 10-20 4.5-5.6. Those lenses are all FANTASTIC, I would only buy one vs the other based on your personal shooting needs. (Range, vs aperture, vs autofocus silence / accuracy, vs full-frame compatibility, etc.)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited March 11, 2011
    Honestly having tested most every ultra-wide out there, and seen many images from certainly EVERY ultra-wide out there, I can't say the 12-24 is the "lens of choice" any more.

Before the Tokina came out for crop, and before the 14-24 came out for FX, yeah the 12-24 was the sharpest thing on the block. It was really impressive. But the Tokina takes things to a whole new level, absolutely hands-down, and I can't recommend either the Nikon 10-24 nor the 12-24, if it is sharpness alone you are thinking about. The Tokina is just gorgeous.

I see that this thread is actually over a year old, before the Sigma 10-20 3.5 ever hit the shelves, so I thought I'd mention that after initial testing and reviews it looks like the original f/4.5-5.6 is a bit sharper in the extreme corners, even stopped down. For landscape shooters that spend all their time at f/8 anyways, I'd get the Sigma 10-20 and just hunt for a good copy.

For photojournalists who truly need the f/2.8, (And event photographers who may be stepping up to full-frame some day) ...the Tokina is champ. I mention FX also because the 11-16 works great on FX at 16mm, even with a thin filter on.

All lenses are going to be at risk for factory defects, and yeah maybe the third parties are a few % more prone, but that's never stopped me from making some AWESOME images with Tokina and Sigma glass.

At the end of the day, a serious shooter will do just fine with any of the following: (Note that I don't mention the Nikon 10-24, because I consider it to be a little less well-constructed than the 12-24...)

The Nikon 12-24, Tokina 12-24, Tokina 11-16, Sigma 10-20 4.5-5.6. Those lenses are all FANTASTIC, I would only buy one vs the other based on your personal shooting needs. (Range, vs aperture, vs autofocus silence / accuracy, vs full-frame compatibility, etc.)

=Matt=

Matt
    Thanks a lot!!!
    edited March 12, 2011
    sidney_jec wrote: »
    Did you use CPL??

Nope just the naked lens. f/22 @ 30 sec or so.
    Duke
  • mike95910mike95910 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 14, 2011
    wow that picture of the football stadium is simply amazing. Like the pics. Anyone pick which lens finally>?