Options

Upgrade or new system: Thinking outside the box...

MooseKillerMooseKiller Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited June 29, 2009 in Accessories
OK, so, I am cross posting this here as well as in Action! as I am hoping to get more replies...

What I am interested in is the "unknown unknowns" regarding a system/kit upgrade. Since I am new to video, I know there are things I don't know, what to look for, nor what to ask... And this is where you and your opinions/suggestions come in. :D Think outside the box, the most bang for the buck, looking toward future upgrades, etc...

I am primarily a still landscape/wildlife photographer, though recently my interests are pointing me toward video. I am looking for a balance between the two, though I am guessing a system that can handle video will easily do stills. My interest in video would be landscape/wildlife, as well as sports/motorsports, and the occasional vacation/family events type thing.

This is my current system and kit:

Computer:
Mac PowerPC G5 Dual 2 gig processor (pre Intel)
OS 10.5.6 (Leopard)
3 gig RAM (2 x 512m, 2 x 1g, 4 slots open)
3 open PCI-X slots
ATI Radeon 9600 XT video card (AGP 128m)
160 gig primary HD (original to system, SMART verified)
500 gig secondary HD (about 1.5 years old, SMART verified)
- No available drive bays
2 x 19" CRT monitors
Wacom 4x6 tablet
iSight Firewire camera

Software:
Final Cut Express 4.0.1 (learning to use, relatively proficient)
PhotoShop CS 8.0 (not proficient at all, thinking Aperture :scratch )
Miscellaneous apps like Elements, PhotoStitch, etc...
SmugMug Power user

Kit:
Canon Digital Rebel (Original)
- Various EF & EF-S glass & accessories
Panasonic SDR-H40P videocamera & extra battery

Sooooo... Where would you spend your money to upgrade? (I'd like to keep Mac and Canon product based... :deal ). Is the system good enough to last long enough to make any new upgrades worth their cost? Is a better system the prefered route and keep dreaming about a T1i or 5DmkII? What about long term archiving of video/photos? What important questions am I not asking and should be? Why are you suggesting this specific thing? Again, think outside the box... I purposely left budget out just to see what would come up. Both tight, meager budget suggestions right along side wild dreamer lottery winner budgets are good!

Thank you, I look forward to your opinions and input! :ear

Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Computer:

Why don't you just try editing video on your current system? You can download FullHD material to play with in many places. Otherwise buy a current iMac or if you have the cash a MacPro. Both will be alot faster than your G5 with their multiple cores and faster (disc, memory) interfaces.

Photostorage:

Avoid dvd's and such, better have multiple external harddisks (500GB - 1TB) in your home and an offsite location.

Camera:

I'm sure you knew that he XTi does only 20fps in fullhd not 24 or 30. :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2009
    Thanks for the info Manfr3d! I do editing on my current computer, though I don't think I can do HD as it is a non-Intel processor. (I think I read somewhere that FCE can only do HD on an Intel Mac, though I am not certain)... I will eventually do HD, though will definitely get my skills up before taking that leap. :D

I was aware that the T1i only does 20fps HD, so IMHO it isn't 'true' HD. But I do like the SD options and the creative options the T1i allows.

From some of the responses I have received, it seems like upgrading my current system is still a viable option (though I do like the portability a MacBook Pro offers). I will also look into a class to tr and grasp PhotoShop as well.

Thanks again for the ideas!
  • Options
    mrbill62mrbill62 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    You may want the Apple Store refurb section. The previous generation 8 core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro is $2399.
    Other deals include iMacs from $1199 to $1849 for the current generation top of the line. I've bought many refurbs from Apple with nary a problem. Only difference is it comes in a brown box.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    Ah HA! Great advice... I totally spaced the refurb store at Apple. I do like my G5, but the new Pros are pretty pricey. Thanks for bringing that to my attention mrbill62! clap.gif