Lightroom/SmugMug color

BenRGBenRG Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited June 27, 2009 in Finishing School
When I upload my images from Lightroom to SmugMug they don't look the same. I lose color and contrast.

Here's the image in Lightroom:
20090626-kaimu9ne8a1w1ey6bd7mppgep2.jpg

And here it is in SmugMug:
20090626-c58tbu1hfh2ayug525tqx224fc.jpg

Any idea what could be going wrong?

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    BenRG wrote:
    When I upload my images from Lightroom to SmugMug they don't look the same. I lose color and contrast.

Any idea what could be going wrong?
    Usually this happens when you have something wrong with the color profile on the images.

Neither one of these images shows with an embedded color profile. That means that color is mystery meat and unpredictable and will likely vary by browser and will not be correct on people's system with accurate and calibrated color. Therefore, we cannot comment on their color with any certainty.

Please describe your workflow so we can help figure out what is going on. Where do the images come from before Lightroom? What color profile are they in before Lightroom? Does anything modify them before Lightroom? When you export from Lightroom, what color profile do you pick for them? Do you upload them right after exporting from Lightroom or do you edit the images in any other software before uploading?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    I'm kind of new to SmugMug so put this comment in that context.
    It seems to me that I read somewhere that SmugMug uses sRGB.
    A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.
  • BenRGBenRG Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Usually this happens when you have something wrong with the color profile on the images.

Neither one of these images shows with an embedded color profile. That means that color is mystery meat and unpredictable and will likely vary by browser and will not be correct on people's system with accurate and calibrated color. Therefore, we cannot comment on their color with any certainty.

Please describe your workflow so we can help figure out what is going on. Where do the images come from before Lightroom? What color profile are they in before Lightroom? Does anything modify them before Lightroom? When you export from Lightroom, what color profile do you pick for them? Do you upload them right after exporting from Lightroom or do you edit the images in any other software before uploading?

They come straight from the camera to Lightroom (Canon 20D, shot in RAW). I upload them straight to Lightroom, not sure. No. I chose the sRGB profile. I upload them straight to Smugmug from Lightroom (using the plugin).

They won't show the embedded color profile because they are screen grabs.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    BenRG wrote:
    They come straight from the camera to Lightroom (Canon 20D, shot in RAW). I upload them straight to Lightroom, not sure. No. I chose the sRGB profile. I upload them straight to Smugmug from Lightroom (using the plugin).

They won't show the embedded color profile because they are screen grabs.
    What browser are you using to view Smugmug?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    I had the same problem. Maybe this will help? :link:
    Duke