Western again...

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited June 28, 2009 in People
I was shooting a business headshot today, and since I had the lights already setup, I thought it a good chance to shoot a new avatar.

Was trying for a 50's Western look. Not sure that I quite got there.

What do you think?

Here's two slightly different versions
Randy

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    really good shots but I do not think they are RIDERS in the SKYISH ENUFFISH....Not really Hoppy alongy Cassidyish enufish..........I don't know ...something missing.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    really good shots but I do not think they are RIDERS in the SKYISH ENUFFISH....Not really Hoppy alongy Cassidyish enufish..........I don't know ...something missing.........

Yeah,
    I can't really put my finger on what's missing either.

Maybe a lean, square jawed cowboy rolleyes1.gif

I think that sterile background just isn't working for this shot. I need to go out to a good location and re-shoot.
    Randy
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Yeah,
    I can't really put my finger on what's missing either.

Maybe a lean, square jawed cowboy rolleyes1.gif

I think that sterile background just isn't working for this shot. I need to go out to a good location and re-shoot.

Clean cut maybe.....lean......Gene Autry weren't lean......none of them RKO boys was lean.....mean yeah....ahhhh that is it you ain't mean lookin enuff....need to get taller hat from HATMAN JACK here in town.....he supplies several with great oldie styles he makes.....rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 26, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    What do you think?

Not bad at all. I'm guessing the second will work better at avatar size. Have you looked at them when downsized?
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    BG is ok - I tink your 'stache is giving ya away..... It's too clean/well groomed.

Nice work NTL. clap.gif
    1 is best.
    edited June 26, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Not bad at all. I'm guessing the second will work better at avatar size. Have you looked at them when downsized?

Doh,

Didn't think of that eek7.gif

Downsized, then had to lighten up the pic quite a bit for it to look right.

Thanks Richard thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited June 26, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    BG is ok - I tink your 'stache is giving ya away..... It's too clean/well groomed.

Nice work NTL. clap.gif
    1 is best.

Thanks Buggs, but...

OK, I don't get out much...what is "NTL" ? ne_nau.gif
    Randy
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    ...what is "NTL" ? ne_nau.gif

Laughing.gif......... "none-the-less"

I was feelin' lazy. rolleyes1.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    I love the look Randy. The first one grabs me moreso only because the lighting across the eyes in the second is just a tad much....the first is splendid..and yes, gives me that John Wayne movie feel. Very cool.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Very nice. Definitely #1, though. Opening up the shadows introduces too much noise in the second one.
    edited June 26, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    I love the look Randy. The first one grabs me moreso only because the lighting across the eyes in the second is just a tad much....the first is splendid..and yes, gives me that John Wayne movie feel. Very cool.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the input thumb.gif

When/if it ever cools down, I've got a lot of "Cliché Western Movie" type pics that I want to shoot. Buddy & I are thinking about shooting them in Tombstone, AZ.

I would be thrilled if I can bring back to life some of those great Western images, if only in my little world :D A project if you will...
    Randy
    edited June 26, 2009
    Very nice. Definitely #1, though. Opening up the shadows introduces too much noise in the second one.

Ben,

that's my thoughts too, but it's always appreciated to hear others opinions.

Thanks for your input thumb.gif
    Randy
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Was trying for a 50's Western look.
    You got it! thumb.gif
    edited June 26, 2009
    You got it! thumb.gif

Thanks WW,

I appreciate knowing if I met my image goal for anyone else thumb.gif
    Randy
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 26, 2009
    Lash Larue!!:D :D

Well done, Randy!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 26, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Lash Larue!!:D :D

Well done, Randy!

You crack me up Jim rolleyes1.gif ~~~ BTW, thanks for that link!

As I previously stated: I do hope in the future to shoot a project of Western images that mimics the 50's style. It drives me a little nuts. I try to enjoy a good Western, but all the while I'm thinking, "that would make a great shot ~ gotta' remember that scene".

Quick search and what do ya' know...

Lash Larue's background looks very familiar :D

Thanks for your comments thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    I prefer the first one. In the second the dodging of the eyes jumps out at me, in a bad way... just calls too much attention to itself and doesn't look believable. I do agree that you should reshoot on location somewhere. Even just a nice cloudy sky for a background might do it... but if you live somewhere with large open western-ish vistas, then all the better...
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Nice one Randy. "Western Noir" even:-)
    #1 for me.
    One nit - bg is dull deal.gif . Cowboys did not have their daguerrotypes taken in blooming studios with the seamless, youknowhatI'msaying? mwink.gif
    Add some cacti.. If you don't have one, ask some of the nice AZ/UT/NM/NV folks for help, they should have plenty of that stuff in their ports rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 27, 2009
    I prefer the first one. In the second the dodging of the eyes jumps out at me, in a bad way... just calls too much attention to itself and doesn't look believable. I do agree that you should reshoot on location somewhere. Even just a nice cloudy sky for a background might do it... but if you live somewhere with large open western-ish vistas, then all the better...

Tim,

I agree with you and your photo choice, but, look at some of the Hollywood 50's images & you'll note that the lighting was very strong, very un-natural, across the eyes.

Thanks for your input thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited June 27, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice one Randy. "Western Noir" even:-)
    #1 for me.
    One nit - bg is dull deal.gif . Cowboys did not have their daguerrotypes taken in blooming studios with the seamless, youknowhatI'msaying? mwink.gif
    Add some cacti.. If you don't have one, ask some of the nice AZ/UT/NM/NV folks for help, they should have plenty of that stuff in their ports rolleyes1.gif

I hear ya' Nik thumb.gif

Side Note: I was using a Photek 5' Softlighter for the previous High Key Business headshot background ~ pointed at the back of the subjects head, camera shooting straight into it). It's a simple way to have a high-key, evenly lit bg with just one light, and is easily setup and portable. (I did burn the bg for my avatar photo, obviously)
    Randy
    edited June 27, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Side Note: I was using a Photek 5' Softlighter for the previous High Key Business headshot background ~ pointed at the back of the subjects head, camera shooting straight into it). It's a simple way to have a high-key, evenly lit bg with just one light, and is easily setup and portable. (I did burn the bg for my avatar photo, obviously)
    I think I missed the post with the business headshots... where was it?ne_nau.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Really nice work Randy. (Sorry i am of no help with such a blan statement...)

but heres my cheerclap.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited June 27, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I think I missed the post with the business headshots... where was it?ne_nau.gif

I didn't post that Nik. I will only post a customers pics on a public board if I have the customers permission. Some don't want their mug displayed on the Internet, or more than likely, by someone other than themselves. ne_nau.gif

Thanks for asking though.
    Randy
    edited June 27, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    I didn't post that Nik. I will only post a customers pics on a public board if I have the customers permission.

Thanks for asking though.
    I understand... Same here ;-)
    edited June 27, 2009
    Really nice work Randy. (Sorry i am of no help with such a blan statement...)

but heres my cheerclap.gif

Hey Aaron,

I thought you were going to say (Sorry i am of no help with such a blan subject) rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I was going to whole heartedly agree with you :D

All kidding aside; I appreciate your comment thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    look at some of the Hollywood 50's images & you'll note that the lighting was very strong, very un-natural, across the eyes.

Ah, I see what you were going for. You're right... and that's why I often get annoyed when watching old films that have otherwise fantastic lighting... all of a sudden a spotlight shows up on someone out of no where and kills my suspension of disbelief!
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    You have a bad, mean look. I stand here hoping that you will not turn your gaze on me next, cuz you look like you wanna mix it up with someone.

So what happens if you take that pose, turn slowly and look straight at the camera?
    edited June 28, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    You have a bad, mean look. I stand here hoping that you will not turn your gaze on me next, cuz you look like you wanna mix it up with someone.

So what happens if you take that pose, turn slowly and look straight at the camera?[/quote]

The lens cracks ne_nau.gif
    rolleyes1.gif

Kidding aside, you'd get quite a different look, one that I wasn't looking for with this particular image. This sounds convenient, but honestly, I was trying for a look that did look like I was fixin' to be after someone, but not the viewer.

A lot of old Western movie promo images, for posters or what-not, used this same pose/look. To my memory, most of the images where the cowboy is looking into the camera, he didn't have a particularly stern look, and by the same token, when looking off-camera, that's when they gave the "draw that smoke wagon" look.

Admittedly, it is a little hard to gage all this when doing a self-portrait. After all, I do look directly into that face in the mirror every morning.

I do appreciate your though out question/suggestion thumb.gif
    Randy
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    I think the lighting is perfect for the time period you are trying to capture. Strong lighting across the eyes, perfect!!!

I think as mentioned that your stache gives you away, however, add a little "dirt" to your face, and a cigarette (unlit) , and I think ya got it rolleyes1.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
    edited June 28, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    I think the lighting is perfect for the time period you are trying to capture. Strong lighting across the eyes, perfect!!!

I think as mentioned that your stache gives you away, however, add a little "dirt" to your face, and a cigarette (unlit) , and I think ya got it rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Shannon,

I'll have to give the "dirty" look a try...
    Randy