Canon EOS 1000D vs Nikon D60 vs Sony A350

RealGRealG Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited June 26, 2009 in Cameras
Right,

I have spent the last two weeks going through reviews on various magazines, various forums as well as many websites.....and I still cannot make a choice...!! :scratch

While the debate between Canon and Nikon is endless, I thought I'd add the Sony to it.

I am completely new in photography but extremely determined to learn about it all.

I just need a kick start to buy my first DSLR Camera.

I will taking shots of various events (birthday, anniversary, etc..) as well as "touristique" shots of monument, cathedrals, etc...

Budget is £400 which match the cameras cited in the thread title.

Any help?

Pick my camera for me!! 6 votes

Canon EOS 1000D
50%
Ric Grupejgoetz4studio1972 3 votes
SOny A350
16%
davemj98 1 vote
Nikon D60
33%
jzieglerthedude 2 votes

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 26, 2009
    RealG, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Scott had a great response here, which would apply to you as well:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=910017&postcount=7
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RealGRealG Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    RealG, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Scott had a great response here, which would apply to you as well:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=910017&postcount=7
    Indeed, great post worth reading. thumb.gif
    I wouldn't consider that post as a response to my thread but as a personal and extremely valuable opinion which I have had already taken into consideration when posting, hence the pre-selection of the cameras in the title:
    you really want to buy what you need now, not what you might need in years to come. Buy the tool you need, when you need it; buying quality will allow you to buy it only once. That's the cheapest way to get it done.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 26, 2009
    I encourage you to explore lenses first and then a camera body to support the lenses that you choose. The camera bodies you have chosen are all fairly entry level but your described needs are not so lofty so I suggest almost any of them would do the job.

The bitter pill is the lenses. The vast majority of my investment is in competent lenses.

I suggest that the following ranges would qualify for your stated needs:

A standard zoom of 18-50mm-ish range and a constant aperture of f2.8. This would be your constant companion and should serve well for event work.

A wide zoom, for the architectural monument and church shots and also for vista landscapes, of approximately 10-12mm through 20-24mm. A constant aperture is not so important for this lens, but the few constant aperture wide zooms are pretty high quality.

Explore and budget for these things first for best results.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RealGRealG Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2009
    Thank you. I didn't think that I should have looked at the type of lenses first.thumb.gif And you also made me realized that £400 is really nothing when investing in such equipment.:cry
    I guess, It will take me longer than planned to get some proper stuff.
    Thank you for your advice, it will be followed