dSLR that can take a beating...

MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
edited July 6, 2009 in Cameras
So, I've just got a D90 - April this year - and I'm loving it :clap

So much so, that I want to take it with me when I go dirt biking. Dirt and moisture is one concern but I can take care of that with a dry bag, more of concern is being dropped or even landed on :cry I'm convinced that it won't like the abuse.

So, I'm thinking of either getting a cheap SLR that I'm not going to cry if I trash it or find a robust SLR. Going with a cheap Nikon seems to mean getting one that lens won't be compatible with the D90.

Or should I just stick with my compact?

Any suggestions chaps?

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    You could pick up a used D50 and any lens that works on that will work on your D90.
    Steve

Website
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    The D50 does look interesting.

Have done a bit more research - the D40 looks like an incredible deal. They're available new in England for 280 pounds, including a kit lens! Am I correct in thinking the only lens compatability issue is that it needs to have it's own motor for AF to work on the D40? My 18-200 nikon lens has one... right?

Sorry for being such a n00b rolleyes1.gif
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    I would find the cheapest Nikon DSLR I could find and a cheap kit lens.
    edited June 26, 2009
    I would find the cheapest Nikon DSLR I could find and a cheap kit lens.

That why I was thinking the D40 looks so appealing - 280 for body and lens seems like a great deal to me... maybe I'm still in shock from the D90 :D
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    The D40 is a great camera, it will work with any AFS, or AFI lenses. I would think if you are going to haul a DSLR on a dirt bike you would want a pelican case. Otherwise I would look for a good compact. I haul my D90 around on my dual sport but not on my dirt bike :D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 26, 2009
    A dSLR is a relatively fragile machine. I have to mention that even a professional body and lens is not designed for the rigors of dirt biking. The constant pounding will, sooner or later, take its toll.

A digital camera that is mostly solid state is probably a better choice. The Olympus "Tough" series P&S and the GoPro Hero cameras are much better designs for this application.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Many of the folks at Advrider, myself included, carry a DSLR on street, dirt, and adventure touring bikes. Suggest you look for opinions there - I've seen everything from custom foam lined tank bags to pelican cases over there. thumb.gif

www.advrider.com
    edited June 27, 2009
    Grainbelt wrote:
    Many of the folks at Advrider, myself included, carry a DSLR on street, dirt, and adventure touring bikes. Suggest you look for opinions there - I've seen everything from custom foam lined tank bags to pelican cases over there. thumb.gif

www.advrider.com

Thanks for the tip - it was ADVRider that introduced me to DGrin when I first got into SLRs... it seems that riding bikes and photography are a pretty popular combination thumb.gif
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Mav wrote:
    Thanks for the tip - it was ADVRider that introduced me to DGrin when I first got into SLRs... it seems that riding bikes and photography are a pretty popular combination thumb.gif

We tend to find ourselves near scenes worth capturing.

Another option you may not have considered is an old film body. I have a couple of Pentax manual focus film bodies that are small, tidy, and the only electrical component is the light meter. getting film processed to CD, or picking up a negative scanner, is quite effective. You can buy them all day long for $50 with a 50mm 1.7 or 2.0 lens, which on a film body is a nice natural FOV.

I picked up a 40mm 2.8 pancake lens for one of mine, and it is almost pocketable. Pictured below on a Pentax ME, which is an Av only body. Lots of fun, and a great backup, if nothing else.

523592281_o2deB-M.jpg
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    It all depends on your budget and needs:

If a point and shoot will do the tough series Olympus is it

If you want to stay Nikon my D50 took a decent amount of abuse and keeps going

For a DSLR with a bit higher budget an Olympus E-3.....if it gets dirty pour a bottle of water over it and you are good to go deal.gif
  • LabRatLabRat Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2009
    D200 would be a good combo of budget and Pro build, and like the D50 most of the lenses would work with the D90.

I would use a 50mm 1.8D for a lens

Also could use more inexpensive manual focus, but tough lenses... lots of options.

I would pick up a pelican for the camera though.
  • Cool TunaCool Tuna Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Look at the D70s
    I use a Nikon D70s for my fishing trips off-shore Ocean Fishing, multi-day trips. Been using it for 3 years now and it is solid as a rock. Metal body holds up well, lens work with most of the DSLR Nikon. The price these days for a used one is around $100 to $125.. It is a tough one and it has held up well to being bounced around in 10ft swells.

Check it out..

Cool Tuna
    Jeff
    One Cool Tuna Photos

http://cooltuna.smugmug.com/
    www.onecooltuna.com

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>(((º>
    .·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    If you really need a camera that can take the knocks, look into the ruggedized compacts. DSLRs with their mirror and shutter assemblies can do the cheap&disposable route at best. The better models can take rain falling on them and getting clunked into something while flung over the shoulder where a rugged compact can sink 10 meters down after dropping from the top shelf - that's the difference.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/