Sunrise and the Golden Gate

anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited July 2, 2009 in Landscapes
So, I'm not much of a morning person but I decided to wake up one morning and try to get some shots of the sunrise over the Golden Gate Bridge. The weather didn't quite co-operate with me, but I got some shots nonetheless.

I wrote about my pre-dawn adventure on my photo blog @ www.anvilimage.com

574720332_vPyxY-L.jpg

574720674_yZfuS-L.jpg

-joe
Joe Ercoli
My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com
My Smugmug Gallery

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Nicely done, Joe! I actually like the hazy look of the 2nd shot better. Great job with the comp too, as you made the FG fence really work here. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    The second shot sure shows the lush morning light! I like the composition too!! Nice!
  • anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Thanks! I like the 2nd shot better, too... It became my new desktop wallpaper.

I went back to the city last Saturday night to shoot and ended up staying for the sunrise (it was a late night... HA!). The weather was a little better and I got some more cool stuff, I just haven't had time to process anything.

-joe
    Joe Ercoli
    My Smugmug Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I love your blog post, because I was just thinking to myself that you're a real trooper for trying to head out there in time to catch sunrise. Last I had considered it, April (aktse) had suggested camping out because it's just easier to driving and getting set up when the sun rises so early. lol3.gif (Though staying up like you did works too)

To be honest I've had a bunch of failed sunrises since I got here. A combination of it just being more comfortable in a warm bed and underestimating what time light actually starts crackin'.

I think you still got a couple of great shots here. Agreed - low-lying fog on the water would have been better but not every trip can be so lucky, right? I hope you get your second trip's shots posted so we can see, too!

Cheers!
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I like the colors in the sky of the first picture, but the 2nd pictures is really a winner. Very well done!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Ahh..... the morning light is great.

I'm a presunrise guy and I would encourage the OP to get up at that time and take some street shots. Spent 3 weeks in Europe presunrise and it was a rewarding experience.

I found if there is a high pressure system over the area, your chances of getting a clear shot is better (sunrise or sunset)

Schmoo its easier to get up in the winter for the sunrises, so there is hope.

Rags
    Rags
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I will jump on the bandwagon here and agree with shot #2. It is tough to catch the sunrise here with a reasonable amount of clear sky. I hope to make a few attempts later this month, it's been a while since I have tried.
    Steve

Website
    edited July 1, 2009
    Bear in mind the sunrise moves (rises from a different point during the year), the bridge doesn't.

I like to shoot moonrises from Marin Headlands and its the same deal (it moves)

So if you want an image to contain the sunrise and the bridge, it might not be possible at some times of year (in addition to the fog issue).

Consider googling GG sunrises and get a shot close to what you want to do, then read the exif info if you can, to get the time of year.

My .02
    Rags
  • anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Rags,

Aren't you on BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum), too?

Thanks again for the comments! My second sunrise was better and definitely more clear. I have to say that I was inspired by Patrick Smith Photography on Flickr to go out and get any shots of the sunrise. His stuff is amazing and is inspiring me to try some new stuff (haven't had the chance yet, but I'm planning!). Check him out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick-smith-photography/2843651613/in/set-72157607183698849/

-joe
    Joe Ercoli
    My Smugmug Gallery
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I also like the second one.
    The first one is just too dark to really see any detail around the bridge. If you were at a lower level, a silhouette of the bridge against the sky would have been nice.
    edited July 2, 2009
    anvilimage wrote:
    Rags,

Aren't you on BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum), too?

Thanks again for the comments! My second sunrise was better and definitely more clear. I have to say that I was inspired by Patrick Smith Photography on Flickr to go out and get any shots of the sunrise. His stuff is amazing and is inspiring me to try some new stuff (haven't had the chance yet, but I'm planning!). Check him out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick-smith-photography/2843651613/in/set-72157607183698849/

-joe

Yup, I used to post on BARF. I'm doing less riding since I have all this camera crap.

I went on that link... Wow. That's a great shot of the sunrise and the bridge. That was shot in Nov., Tomorrows sunrise will be in a different place on the horizon.

I've gotten kinky with moonrises. I've shot a few from the headlands. Once a month the sunset and the moonrise are close. I like the moonrise in the dark (rather than twilight) I like the city lights.

On 7/7 the sunset is at 8:34; moonrise at 9:04. From the Headlands you can get a double dip. A shot at the sunset and a shot at the moonrise.

The moonrise would be close to where Patricks sunrise is. I wouldn't suggest climbing on a ledge but the moonrise from that angle with the bridge/city lights would be fantastic

I can't go then, I'll be in Death Valley shooting the moonrise in the dunes.

Here's one.. (over Oakland)
    580078246_eAh5z-M.jpg

The moon color is orange close to the horizon due to atmospheric effects, it turns white above the heat layer.

Try the moonrise (it's easier than getting up early)..... Good shooting
    Rags
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Great advice, Rags. Looks like sunrise over the GG and the city from Marin tends to be in the winter (Nov/Dec). The moonrise looks pretty sweet, too.

Fancy a SF Dgrin meetup to catch one of these? ear.gif
    edited July 2, 2009
    Yup. I'll look up the day in August.
    Rags