Some quickies from Yellowstone

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited July 1, 2009 in Landscapes
I didn't have a chance to photograph Yellowstone at dawn or dusk, but I was there in the middle of the day a few times (I'll get that chance later this year). Yellowstone definitely has the strangest and most unique landscapes of any place I've been to, with all the geysers, hot springs, and other thermal features. I've been reading a book on the assorted ways that people have died in Yellowstone, one piece of advice I feel authorized to give: Don't go diving head first into a 200F hot spring after your dog.

Anyway, here are a few shots I took (in Mammoth and between Old Faithful and Madison, and one shot of the falls), along with some videos at the end.

#1:

573953484_72QdX-L.jpg

#2:

573950700_g7z49-L.jpg

#3:

573936746_R4kLh-L.jpg

#4:

573939030_6q8xa-L.jpg

#5:

573957028_nKfHE-L.jpg

#6:

573935188_sScXg-L.jpg

<object height="362" width="640">

<embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashvars="s=ZT0xJmk9NTcyNzgxMDU2Jms9NlBjS3kmYT0xOTMzNjM3X1FMMzRLJnU9Y29zY29ycm9zYQ==" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="362" width="640"></object>

<object height="362" width="640">

<embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashvars="s=ZT0xJmk9NTcyNzgzODk2Jms9Q1pSRzMmYT0xOTMzNjM3X1FMMzRLJnU9Y29zY29ycm9zYQ==" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="362" width="640"></object>

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Amazing that you can shoot such good stuff during mid-day, and those videos are very cool Ron bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

How do you compensate for the harsh light to get such soft tones. Are you using a 10 stop ND and taking long exposures ne_nau.gif Share some magic please.

Dan
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif on the midday! Amazing, and I love that these are non-traditional shots of this park.

Being unfamiliar with Yellowstone, what lens were you using for #5? Is that waterfall a long ways away from the vantage point? ear.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Amazing that you can shoot such good stuff during mid-day, and those videos are very cool Ron bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

How do you compensate for the harsh light to get such soft tones. Are you using a 10 stop ND and taking long exposures ne_nau.gif Share some magic please.

Dan

Thanks Dan, the way I compensated by the harsh light was by not shooting in it! :D In all of these shots, there was significant cloud cover which essentially reduced the shadows to nothing. I also used a polarizer in all of the shots which helped a lot. In some of the shots it was actually raining (part of what makes the landscape so surreal, the warm steam from the hot springs blowing by, the rain coming down in the sky, the trees sticking up in random spots...). So I basically lucked out by getting the best possible midday light to shoot in. So that's my advice, be lucky :D

Also, in Camera Raw, the "fill light" slider is killer. Really helps bring out some details with minimal noise. Also 1, 2, and 3 were shot with a 2-stop soft GND.
    edited June 26, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif on the midday! Amazing, and I love that these are non-traditional shots of this park.

Being unfamiliar with Yellowstone, what lens were you using for #5? Is that waterfall a long ways away from the vantage point? ear.gif

It wasn't too far, that shot was taken at 105mm on a full frame camera. There's another viewpoint right at the top of the falls (if you look closely you can see the throng of people near the top). I had a 70-200 but didn't need to use it like I thought I might (as I too didn't know how far away the falls were).
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Outstanding shots. thumb.gif

I figure #5 is taken from Inspiration Point with a telephoto, but maybe Artist Point.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Wonderful photos thumb.gif Enjoyed the videos too.
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 27, 2009
    Yellowstone is really out of this world. You made the best of the conditions you were shooting in. I really like #4. thumb.gif I can't wait to see your photos when you return later this year.

Oh, and thanks for the advice on not diving into hot springs. rolleyes1.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • PreachermanPreacherman Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Brilliant shots Ron. I am jealous of you USA guys and the opportunities you have to bring us some great outdoors shots.

errrr...is it okay to go in after your dog if you dip your toe in the hot water first rolleyes1.gif?

Cheers

John
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Awesome shots once again, Ron! I find mid day shots are often the best for the multicolored water pools...I find it helps get the rich tones out, especially from the deeper ones. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited June 27, 2009
    Dixie wrote:
    Outstanding shots. thumb.gif

I figure #5 is taken from Inspiration Point with a telephoto, but maybe Artist Point.

Thanks Dixie! It wasn't Artist Point, it was on the north side of the river, maybe it was Inspiration Point, I forget the names of all the pullouts (they're marked in my GPS though!).
    edited June 27, 2009
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Yellowstone is really out of this world. You made the best of the conditions you were shooting in. I really like #4. thumb.gif I can't wait to see your photos when you return later this year.

Oh, and thanks for the advice on not diving into hot springs. rolleyes1.gif

Ana

I'm not here just for the photographs, I'm also here to save lives. :D
    edited June 27, 2009
    Brilliant shots Ron. I am jealous of you USA guys and the opportunities you have to bring us some great outdoors shots.

errrr...is it okay to go in after your dog if you dip your toe in the hot water first rolleyes1.gif?

Cheers

John

Unless your toe is so cold that it drastically reduces the temperature of the hot spring, I would recommend against it. But hey man, don't let me hold you back :D

And you're right, us USA guys do have it pretty damn good. There is so much awesome accessible scenery. We're spoiled, but at least some of us know it :D
    edited June 27, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Awesome shots once again, Ron! I find mid day shots are often the best for the multicolored water pools...I find it helps get the rich tones out, especially from the deeper ones. thumb.gif

Yeah, I'm pleased with how these turned out, and the rain and clouds added some drama. I'd still like to find some dusk/dawn versions to see how the rich colors in the sky would play off the steam from the hot springs. I have a feeling you could get some real interesting abstract shots.
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Coming in late but looks like you had a very productive trip. #1,3,4 are my faves. I'm trying to get out there myself in September for my first time.. thumb.gif
    edited June 28, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks Dan, the way I compensated by the harsh light was by not shooting in it! :D In all of these shots, there was significant cloud cover which essentially reduced the shadows to nothing. I also used a polarizer in all of the shots which helped a lot. In some of the shots it was actually raining (part of what makes the landscape so surreal, the warm steam from the hot springs blowing by, the rain coming down in the sky, the trees sticking up in random spots...). So I basically lucked out by getting the best possible midday light to shoot in. So that's my advice, be lucky :D

Also, in Camera Raw, the "fill light" slider is killer. Really helps bring out some details with minimal noise. Also 1, 2, and 3 were shot with a 2-stop soft GND.

Thanks Ron. Very usefulthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Nice stuff, Ron. Per previous comments, not the traditional views of the place. You definately adapted to conditions. Well done thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited June 28, 2009
    Nice stuff, Ron. Per previous comments, not the traditional views of the place. You definately adapted to conditions. Well done thumb.gif

Thanks Dan! I'm not sure what the traditional Yellowstone landscapes are actually (besides the waterfall shots and maybe a geyser), but if any photographer walked past this stuff without pulling out their camera they deserve to be slapped in their face :D
  • frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Great shots.... would love to go there one day... in the mean time I get to look at Yellowstone in Dgrin clap.gif
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I love them all! For just trying to get a feel for the place, you sure managed to bring home some keepers
    I too am considering a trip to Yellowstone/Tetons sometime in the Fall. I'm really looking forward to it.
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Those are all great shots.. but particularly like #6. We are leaving DFW on Friday for a 20 day vacation with the family and yellowstone / glacier is on the list. I only hope I can get a few remotely as good thumb.gif
    Devin
    edited June 30, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    I love them all! For just trying to get a feel for the place, you sure managed to bring home some keepers
    I too am considering a trip to Yellowstone/Tetons sometime in the Fall. I'm really looking forward to it.

You'll have a great time. You might want to consider renting some large glass for wildlife too (not sure if you're into that or not), but it's abundant, and if it's overcast, you can shoot in the middle of the day when landscapes aren't as good.

Here's a thread I posted to the Wildlife forum:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=135309
    edited June 30, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    You'll have a great time. You might want to consider renting some large glass for wildlife too (not sure if you're into that or not), but it's abundant, and if it's overcast, you can shoot in the middle of the day when landscapes aren't as good.

Here's a thread I posted to the Wildlife forum:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=135309

What size glass did you use for your wildlife shots? Did you rent?

Thanks
    edited June 30, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    What size glass did you use for your wildlife shots? Did you rent?

Thanks

Canon 500mm f/4 IS, and no, I bought it 2-3 months ago. Life is short :D
    edited June 30, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Canon 500mm f/4 IS, and no, I bought it 2-3 months ago. Life is short :D

Oh yes. I forgot how jealous I was when I heard that. Well it certainly paid off. It's on my wish list, and will one day get it and a full frame. Did you use a 1.4 TC with it by any chance.
    edited June 30, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Oh yes. I forgot how jealous I was when I heard that. Well it certainly paid off. It's on my wish list, and will one day get it and a full frame. Did you use a 1.4 TC with it by any chance.

Not on any of those shots, I did try it out a little (light wasn't as good then), but I think the 500 + 1.4 (700 f/5.6) has equal if not better IQ than the 100-400 at 400mm (also f/5.6). I haven't done extensive testing, but that's my general impression.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Amazing as usual. eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Beautiful as usual, Ron. When you're back here in the fall, you'll have to climb the hill behind Grand Prismatic Spring on a sunny day...the colors are unbelievable rolleyes1.gif

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir