DSS #28 Two attempts for C&C

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited June 28, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's a couple ideas to throw out for C&C. Didn't quite come out like I had envisioned but here they are.

Ring of Fire
575449843_fYufv-L.jpg

Sorry the ones below are similar to Kinkajou's post of the cork and bottle. I didn't see it before I took these!

Uncorked
575449612_vg382-M.jpg

Stood Up
575449570_fTh2n-L.jpg
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    #3 has a good composition. The chair in the bg is distracting, imo.

#1 has potential. It's hard to take good pictures of flames, innit? I'd like to see the gas flame more visible, if it's possible. How long can you hold that match for? :D
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    #3 has a good composition. The chair in the bg is distracting, imo.

#1 has potential. It's hard to take good pictures of flames, innit? I'd like to see the gas flame more visible, if it's possible. How long can you hold that match for? :D

or lights out and just the flames? did you try that?
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Thanks for your comments! :D

with the gas burner, I was aiming to capture it just at the moment it lit, which proved to require more patience than I had at the time! I thought the image above came closest, but again, not what I was aiming for. Below is an outtake, which might prove better after all. I dunno...

575543544_4RsUL-L.jpg

Maybe I'll try it with the lights out so just the flames are visible - thanks dnie!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Hi Ben..

I like "Stood Up" I can see what they are saying about the chair... However, it kind of tells the story of the picture, so I don't mind it.. Plus, if ya cloned in the chair backing a little, and make them look more square than rectangle, then you would have both circles and squares in the shot. Just a thought..headscratch.gif

I also like the burner idea too..

Kat
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    I like your idea.
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    I like the 2 wine glass shot. Is that 2 Buck Chuck? And you didn't pierce the bottom of the cork (the sign of a professional!):D

Brian
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    I like the 2 wine glass shot as well. For me, I could use a bit more sharpness on the foreground object(s). It may be just my eyes, but I'm not getting anything in really sharp focus to rest on.

Love the burner as well. I could use a little (not a lot) more space around the square burner. I think that square is important and it kind of blends into the edge of the crop too much and disappears. I'd like to see some more impact in the flame, which would also give you the luxury of bringing out the burner square just a tad as well.

I'd love to see total darkness for the flame, and see if that light alone is enough to see the burner frame and your hand. It would be sweet if it works. If not, perhaps a subdued flash tossed in at the end would give the additional light you'd need.