Options

Pricing for CD of headshots for pro actor

J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited February 19, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I haven't done headshots for a professional actor before and was wondering what people charge typically.

It's really a simple shoot with no wardrobe changes, just a handful of shots of shoulders up and a handful of shots of waist up. I will do other poses with these but this is really all the client asked for. The shoot will be outdoors with minimal equipment and using available light.

The question I have is, what are others typically charging for a small shoot like this? My client wants a CD of the originals that he picks after viewing his online gallery. I usually don't give out CD's, let alone the full size / full res. images. He already stated he wanted to have the CD available for printing the images each time an agency contacts him. I would rather he buy the images from my site but he would rather have the CD.

Mind you that I work in the SF Bay Area where everything is overpriced, but he is also an old friend of my wife and he's unemployed and trying to get back into film and theater. I'm trying not to let that influence what I charge him but I would like to make some profit from this shoot.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
John "J.T."
http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    J. T.

You have a published price list for this type of work?

If you wanted to give him a brake because of his friendship with your wife, you are free to do so, but I can't see how you could in good conscience charge him more.

The client wants CD's why not simply price accordingly?

If you don't want to give him a CD give him my info. Client wants CD, me want wampum, we make deal. :D

Sam
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Since it doesn't sound like a commerical job (i.e. images prolly won't end up on the billboards and such), just have him sign a non-commerical release and charge him for job, taking into account that there will be no print sales ever. FWIW, prices here in LA may go as high as $600 for a comp card session, albeit those usually include a few outfit/lighting changes and a MUA help. My lowest-lowest price for something like that is $99, client will have small jpegs and one final hires composite on a CD.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    The job is the same regardless of who or what the image contains. If you normally charge $200 for this type of job, it shouldn't change because of who he is or what he happens to do for a living.

Commercial headshots = whatever you normally charge for this service
    Non-commercial headshots = whatever you normally charge for this service

In the end you should be charging based on the job, not the subject.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    J.T. wrote:
    I haven't done headshots for a professional actor before and was wondering what people charge typically.

It's really a simple shoot with no wardrobe changes, just a handful of shots of shoulders up and a handful of shots of waist up. I will do other poses with these but this is really all the client asked for. The shoot will be outdoors with minimal equipment and using available light.

The question I have is, what are others typically charging for a small shoot like this? My client wants a CD of the originals that he picks after viewing his online gallery. I usually don't give out CD's, let alone the full size / full res. images. He already stated he wanted to have the CD available for printing the images each time an agency contacts him. I would rather he buy the images from my site but he would rather have the CD.

Mind you that I work in the SF Bay Area where everything is overpriced, but he is also an old friend of my wife and he's unemployed and trying to get back into film and theater. I'm trying not to let that influence what I charge him but I would like to make some profit from this shoot.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Angelo wrote:

Wow that's a lot more than I was thinking of charging. But I guess you have to figure in the fact that you'll be loosing all those print sales too.
  • Options
    nicnellynicnelly Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2010