My first night shot...

jm94085jm94085 Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
edited June 29, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Hey Grinners...thanks for reading!! This was my first attemp at a night shot and wanted to get some constructive feedback on how you thought it turned out.

http://jmccauley.smugmug.com/photos/575801235_MZb88-M.jpg

Location is the Mission at Santa Clara University. Shot with a Canon 40D at 1/8 (.125sec), f4.0, ISO800 and 20mm. I actually stopped by during the day and thought it looked a little un-interesting and plain during daylight...and figured an evening show might work out well.

Happy shooting!!

John

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    First, welcome to dgrin!

A couple of suggestions:

1) You will probably get a much better response if you actually show the image in your post

2) Can you post a large size? This one is a little small to tell a lot about it

I took the liberty to post your image here, (large size), for others to see.

It might be an optical illusion, but to me it looks like the image is slightly tilted to the left.
    I'd clone out the porch light on the left side of the image.

Other than that, I like it thumb.gif ~ A very nice shot indeed, great colors and all.

(I'll assure you, my first night shot was no where near this good.)

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

575801235_MZb88-L.jpg
    Randy
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    jm94085 wrote:
    Hey Grinners...thanks for reading!! This was my first attemp at a night shot and wanted to get some constructive feedback on how you thought it turned out.

http://jmccauley.smugmug.com/photos/575801235_MZb88-M.jpg

Location is the Mission at Santa Clara University.
    Shot with a Canon 40D at 1/8 (.125sec), f4.0, ISO800 and 20mm.

I actually stopped by during the day and thought it looked a little un-interesting and plain during daylight...and figured an evening show might work out well.

Happy shooting!!

John

Hi John, and welcome to the Dgrin Forum clap.gif
    Posting the image does get more response from folks.

I love the warm colours you achieved in the shot,
    and the red glow from two of the lit rooms showing through the slotted windows.

The shadows cast up onto the walls from the trees is interesting.

Nice going there John, hope you will continue to share your work thumb.gif

..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • jm94085jm94085 Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Thanks Randy and Skippy...I appreciate the feedback!

Yeah it would have been nice to have a tilt-shift lens for this shot, but I'll try to straighten it out once I get PS.

Here's my attempt at posting the photo in to my message...seems like the "attach" tools are pretty limited in terms of the size you and attach so I'm trying the old cut and paste.

577210418_Y82M4-XL.jpg

Again thanks for your input!!

John