Any thoughts?
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Aaron,

I think you did a good job on this shot. The lighting is nice, & the soft shadows are well placed. Comp is good, and to me, that's a fairly hard job to do correctly on gun images.

Keep up the good work thumb.gif
    Randy
  • JChurillJChurill Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    :whew
    Blending The Arts!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Nice and clear. The only nit if it is one is that the corner of the grip is slightly out of the picture. Can you give details how you did this? Now and again my son needs a photo of his gun(s) and it would be nice to take a quality photo like this one.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Aaron,

I think you did a good job on this shot. The lighting is nice, & the soft shadows are well placed. Comp is good, and to me, that's a fairly hard job to do correctly on gun images.

Keep up the good work thumb.gif

Thanks Randy. Hope to get my hands on a few different pieces and shoot some more. Literally and figuratively mwink.gif

Aaron Newman

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Nice and clear. The only nit if it is one is that the corner of the grip is slightly out of the picture. Can you give details how you did this? Now and again my son needs a photo of his gun(s) and it would be nice to take a quality photo like this one.

Thanks for the comments .

For this shot is was nothing special really. I have two sheets of a vinyl coated fiber board that are 4'x8' I use for shooting portraits. I placed the pistol and bullets on one board about a foot from the edge to be sure no edge would be in the shot.

Lighting is a mix of natural light from a window to the right upper corner and a strobe light with a large softbox. The window is about 6 feet from the pistol and the strobe is about 5 feet from it. Strobe was on half power.

ISO 400
    F 13
    24mm
    Shutter 1/15 (hand held mwink.gif)

Hope that helps. If not he can bring his guns down to my place and we can work something out. deal.gif

Aaron Newman

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 28, 2009
    Looks good. For me flat black is a hard color to light. The dark color soaks up tons of light. I like your choice of BG. Even if it did get blown out who would know....
    Lets see something in a chrome finish next.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Thanks for the comments .

For this shot is was nothing special really. I have two sheets of a vinyl coated fiber board that are 4'x8' I use for shooting portraits. I placed the pistol and bullets on one board about a foot from the edge to be sure no edge would be in the shot.

Lighting is a mix of natural light from a window to the right upper corner and a strobe light with a large softbox. The window is about 6 feet from the pistol and the strobe is about 5 feet from it. Strobe was on half power.

ISO 400
    F 13
    24mm
    Shutter 1/15 (hand held mwink.gif)

Hope that helps. If not he can bring his guns down to my place and we can work something out. deal.gif

Thanks for the reply. I wrote your info down and will try it. I'll keep your offer in mind! :D