RI Airwshow

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited July 1, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
My 12 year old son and I attended our first ever Airshow yesterday in North Kingstown, RI. Woww!!! My son loved it, his favorite channel is the Military Channel and he was in awe, plus he acted as my own personal tour guide. I intended to take just pictures of my son and the static displays, but really got caught up in the live action. I brought my 40D and my all purpse Tamron 18-270mm lens because I didn't want to have to keep changing lenses all day. I had some serious lens envy when I saw what the people in the media center had on their cameras. I was happy with what I came away with. The first 4 shots below are uncropped. Enjoy!!

Stephanie

#1 F-22 Raptor (uncropped)

575727370_cxCpt-L.jpg

#2 F-22 Raptor (uncropped)
575729044_EHemL-L.jpg

#3 Blue Angels (uncropped)
576131103_eG68y-L.jpg

#4 Blue Angels (uncropped)
576136331_C2t8d-L.jpg

#5 Blue Angels
576140580_p8KPz-L.jpg

#6 Blue Angels
576127771_BzV6q-L.jpg

#7 Sean D Tucker - aerial acrobatist
576031866_pVDJq-L.jpg

Comments

• theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Stephanie,

Great photos! I really like the shots of the F-22. Last month at our local AFB air show they flew an F-22 on the second day, just for a few moments. And the Oracle Challenger was a lot of fun to watch. Here's one of my shots. Off the left wing you can see a red streamer that caught from his low-level pass upside-down.

564146172_sRJjc-M.jpg

Thanks for sharing!
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    theNOIZ wrote:

Great photos! I really like the shots of the F-22. Last month at our local AFB air show they flew an F-22 on the second day, just for a few moments. And the Oracle Challenger was a lot of fun to watch. Here's one of my shots. Off the left wing you can see a red streamer that caught from his low-level pass upside-down.

Shaun-
    Thanks! The F-22 was my favorite performance of the day. It actually performed two 15 minute demonstrations the day we went, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. It flew over with its missle doors open which was really cool. It also went from flying horizontal to making what seemed like a 90 degree turn and then climbed vertical. It kept climbing vertically, then almost seemed to just hang in mid air and started sliding back down vertically. I was just in awe!! The Canadien Snowbirds were also at the show.

Stephanie
    576015559_bUJbw-L.jpg

576022739_WxdEs-L.jpg
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    [looking at the last photo] Ho-ly crap. rolleyes1.gif

My house sits North from Hill Air Force Base in Utah and we see F-16's on a daily basis, but it's rare that we see an F-22 in the sky. I overhead someone at the airshow say they were finding stress cracks in the wings and were limiting the flying time. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but they are very impressive. Flying with the bomb doors open? Wow, that's cool!

Thanks again for sharing.
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Very nice shots, Stephanie! I've wanted to get up to the RI show for a few years now, maybe next year. I hear the set up is very conducive to photography. I love airshows, spent a week shooting the Jones Beach show last month. We got to see the Snowbirds, great performance, and very laid back folks. Got to talk with Sean Tucker - he's as much of a wild man on the ground as he is in the cockpit! I saw the F-22 last year at Jones Beach - I told people it can't be an airplane, airplanes can't do what the F-22 does!

I'm glad you and your son enjoyed the show, but be forewarned - now you're going to have to take him back again next year!