Band Photos

soloshootersoloshooter Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited June 29, 2009 in People
Had the chance to shoot with two techno artists, very cool ladies. I look forward to any C & C, learning is everything.

575820998_s38Rz-M.jpg

575888680_BsCoo-M.jpg

575889418_AijbA-M.jpg

Comments

• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Someone may have better insight on these, but the poses are not working for me, and don't seem to fit the Techo style...

They seem more '80's Madonna/Cyndi Lauper
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    And don't you want over the top color and contrast?
    If not now, when?
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    My take: Great outfits with an opportunity to get grungy, radical and funky with the processing. All 3 shots are cropped entirely too tight leaving no room for any "story", feel, or message (think attitude) to be associated with the subject matter. Oftentimes, including the environment is as important as the subject as it will enhance the subject's presence and photographic message. All too often it seems we have the tendancy to crop tight (think headshots) and miss those elements which will add dynamics to the overall frame.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • soloshootersoloshooter Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Photos
    rutt wrote:
    And don't you want over the top color and contrast?

How would I achieve over the top contrast and color in your opinion?
    edited June 29, 2009
    Thanks
    Swartzy wrote:
    My take: Great outfits with an opportunity to get grungy, radical and funky with the processing. All 3 shots are cropped entirely too tight leaving no room for any "story", feel, or message (think attitude) to be associated with the subject matter. Oftentimes, including the environment is as important as the subject as it will enhance the subject's presence and photographic message. All too often it seems we have the tendancy to crop tight (think headshots) and miss those elements which will add dynamics to the overall frame.

Thanks for the reply, I have so much to learn in PS it feels a bit intimidating sometimes. I think I revert to what is comfortable, adding a little tint, change to B&W, and so on. What would you recommend for PS advancement?
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    My take: Great outfits with an opportunity to get grungy, radical and funky with the processing.

I'm with Rutt & Dave here.

I'm going to show my age & some ignorance. I'm not really sure what Techno is/was, nor what it would look like.

But, here ya' go for some ideas...

Original
    Reworked
    575889418_AijbA-M.jpg577604814_s6G5Q-M.jpg
    Randy
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    How would I achieve over the top contrast and color in your opinion?

Low power fill flash

You have bright backgrounds but the subjects are in the shade, the small flash can balance it out, reflectors also can work.

Also I agree on the tight crops, my only work like this has been for rappers but for locations I would think the more trendy areas of both the up-and-coming ones that are still a little rough and the very polished high fashion type streets.
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    rwells wrote:

I'm going to show my age & some ignorance. I'm not really sure what Techno is/was, nor what it would look like.

Original
    Reworked
    575889418_AijbA-M.jpg577559634_7PDks-M.jpg

Techno is a form of Electronic Dance Music from Michigan originating somewhere in the mid 80's. It has evolved with the times. Some important techno artists are Craig Carl, Juan Atkins.

These guys are a perfect reference of Techno

Sorry, music teacher by day!!! :D
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
    edited June 29, 2009
    Rework
    rwells wrote:

Original
    Reworked
    575889418_AijbA-M.jpg577604814_s6G5Q-M.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, it definitely can be amped up to reveal their WOW factor. As for the prior comment regarding techno, it could embody anything and everything, influenced by a core of electronic, synthesized dance music. Think of a rave(techno party) as a halloween party and that will give you a place to start.