Planning on some new toys, anyone want to convince me otherwise?

silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited July 2, 2009 in Cameras
I've been eyeing the new Olympus E-620 for some time now, and plan to bite the bullet on a new body soon enough. I'm looking to get a new lens with the new body, and the 12-60 is nice and appealing, however, expensive. If I go that route, I might just go for a cameta-used lens. I've done that before and I'm really happy with that purchase. If not, it's the 14-54 II for ~$280 less

So that's an Olympus E-620 for ~$600 and a 12-60mm, f/2.8-4.0 for ~$830.

... or the E-620 for ~$600 + the 14-54 II, f/2.8-3.5 for ~$550, which leaves me some dough for more toys.
- Joe
http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 29, 2009
    The E-620 certainly appears to be a wonderful camera.

I think either lens has merit so you need to decide which has the greatest "value" for you. The 12-60mm has some extra FOV over what you have now plus a really nice zoom range.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    I say go for it! I love my E-620. A really spectacular camera. In regards to the lenses, I have the 14-54mm mkI and I am very pleased with it. The version II would give you better live view performance, but if you rarely use live view than I would look for a mkI because they are identical in every other way. The 12-60 sure gets rave reviews from everyone I know that has one. If you have the $ i am sure you will be glad you got it. But, if you want to spend it on something else, the quality of the 14-54 nearly identical. The major differences being the wider zoom range and the SWD for faster focusing. If those are important, go for the 12-60. If you aren't sure, save the money, get the 14-54, and you could always get yourself the 70-300 or sell your 40-150 and get a mk I version of the 50-200 (you could get one of those for a really decent price now). But the 50-200 is a large lens thats for sure. Just some other ideas. You won't really go wrong with any of them.
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Well, I bit the bullet this morning and called Adorama. I ordered the 620 for $550 and the 14-54 Mk II for $525... they had some sort of deal. I'm very excited because I should have it by the 4th clap.gif
    - Joe
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    SWEET!! It came yesterday and I picked it up at the front office today. I have taken a break from unpacking from my 8-week long trip to UT, just to play with my new camera.

First impressions of the E-620 + 14-54mm mk. II kit (vs. E-410 +14-42mm):
    - Heavier. Much heavier but nicely balanced and not over bearing. I will need a new tripod, however.
    - Menus are cleaner, yet seem to not give as much info up front
    - Focus speed is about the same indoors, outdoors in daylight was never an issue with the previous kit, so I don't expect issues with new one.
    - CDAF is nice, but S....... L........ O.................. WWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwww.
    - Couldn't be happier with the new viewfinder.
    - LCD is very nice -- Articulation might have a use, but the screen is SO much nicer.
    - It's thicker and has a much more pronounced grip, so I have to learn how to hold it again. Not uncomfortable and seems like it'll be more stable in the long-run.
    - Buttons are in MUCH different locations, but still well laid out.
    - No chance to use the IS yet, but I can't wait for those times I wish I had it with the E-410.

I'll write more later and I cannot wait to use it for the Fourth. One show tomorrow and one on Sat. wings.gifwings.gif
    - Joe