575182536_CDJGs-X2.jpg
Down at the docks, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Comments

• frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Excellent shot, love the reflections
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Beautiful shot, Chris! I think you do an amazing job with all you pano shots, and this one is no exception.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Beautiful capture, maybe the best I've seen of the subject. What did you do with all the people (Sunday morning 6.45am winter)??

If I was to nit about anything it would be that the sky, and maybe Mt Wellington, need more drama.

Masterly composition and photographic work.

Would be good to have shooting info, if you like. As you might know from elsewhere, I think what the camera is doing is relevant!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Absolutely perfect! I have no complaints, the light and the scene are just amazing here. thumb.gif
  • ChristopherJAshdownChristopherJAshdown Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Thanks for all the comments everyone, Glad its enjoyable to look at. I think the reflection made this scene work well.
    NeilL wrote:

Would be good to have shooting info, if you like. As you might know from elsewhere, I think what the camera is doing is relevant!

Mid week and sun rise that day was about 7:45am, no-one was around as there isn't much in the immediate area, otherthan fishermen. Saved me having to clone them out.:D

The overcast clouds diffused the light on the water and city to provide an even light. I used an ND to slow the exposure a little more, smooth out the water and make the reflections more defined. I then used an ND Grad to balance the sky exposure. I like to get it as right as possible in camera first.

During pp, I did a little local contrast adjustments between the mountain and the water and a little dodge and burn on the boats to make them stand out a little better.

Camera gear - Canon 5D, 24-105 @ 35mm on a tripod with 7 verticals stitched.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Thanks for all the comments everyone, Glad its enjoyable to look at. I think the reflection made this scene work well.

Mid week and sun rise that day was about 7:45am, no-one was around as there isn't much in the immediate area, otherthan fishermen. Saved me having to clone them out.:D

The overcast clouds diffused the light on the water and city to provide an even light. I used an ND to slow the exposure a little more, smooth out the water and make the reflections more defined. I then used an ND Grad to balance the sky exposure. I like to get it as right as possible in camera first.

During pp, I did a little local contrast adjustments between the mountain and the water and a little dodge and burn on the boats to make them stand out a little better.

Camera gear - Canon 5D, 24-105 @ 35mm on a tripod with 7 verticals stitched.

Many thanks, Chris. Fantastic to know the fine points.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix