DSS #28 Circle or Square Unofficial Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Great Set of entries everyone.

Peace,
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Slippery When Wet - How I did it.
    This thread is geared toward those among us who are relatively new to Photoshop.

My entry this time was more Photoshop intensive than usual. To be honest, the image SOOC pretty much sucked. I was really hung-up on the concept that I had in my head so I stuck with it.

Here's what it looked like straight out of the camera.

578218766_cnQks-M.jpg

First thing that I need to do was to straighten it and get it as flat as possible, (Make the circles true circles and the squares true squares.) so I double-clicked on the layer to bring it up off of the canvas.

578218785_hmwuV-M.jpg

Then I added extra space around it by increasing the canvas size. (Image/Canvas Size)

578218796_aJsDf-M.jpg

I gave myself several inches all around. (It will be obvious why in a minute.)

578218826_dqaRH-M.jpg

Now to get it straight. After adding a horizontal guide at a good reference point in the image I activated the rotate tool. (Edit/Free Transform) Moved the centerpoint to a spot around which I wanted the image to rotate. Then just clicked and dragged outside of the box until the bricks were lined up with the guide.

578218849_NBtmW-M.jpg

Next, fixing the perspective. After adding two vertical guides I actived the perspective tool (Edit/Tranform/Perspective)

578218861_cYJAh-M.jpg

By dragging one of the corners you can bow the image in or out. By dragging one of the center edge points you can slant the image left/right or up/down.

578218877_xqGzC-M.jpg

Now that everything was pretty much squared up I needed to make my circles true circles and the squares true squares. I added a second layer and changed the opacity to 50%. Took my circular marquee tool and by holding down the Atl. and Shift keys drew a perfect circle over the manhole. (Alt. key lets you pick the center point of the marquee and the shift gives you the perfect circle. Works for squares also.) Then filled it with a color.

578218899_zr4hR-M.jpg

I got rid of the marquee at this time and clicked on the first layer. After activating the Transform tool again I moved the center point over the center point of the manhole. While holding the Alt. key down I dragged on the top center edge point to size the image until the manhole matched the yellow circle.

578218915_hREju-M.jpg

At this point I went ahead and cropped to my final image size taking note of the bricks along the edge.

578218925_DGQ4D-M.jpg

Now to get the look that I had in my head onto the screen.

578218942_R4ieh-M.jpg

By creating adjustment layers (Levels, Curves, Exposure, etc.) I got the image to look the way that I wanted.

578218634_vL4i4-M.jpg

Now I cloned out unwanted blotches and expanded the grass along the upper right edge of the manhole.

578218655_Pp8CU-M.jpg

The last touch was to make it look even wetter than it already was. So I went into the filters (Filters/Artistic/Plastic Wrap).

578218667_3rbv6-M.jpg

Here I played with the numbers until I was satisfied. (Alot of doing and undoing)

578218682_dKjhS-M.jpg

Finally I was satisfied and decided to quit before going overboard. (As if I hadn't already.)

578218706_QRVRT-M.jpg

And there you have it. Thanks for sticking with me this long.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    This thread is geared toward those among us who are relatively new to Photoshop.

— Kevin
    Wow Kevin, thanks for sharing! I just wish I could have seen this before I tried to figure out that perspective tool for myself... but hey, I learned.
    BTW, I love the grass to the side of the cover. I think it really added to the picture.
    Great Job!
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Very cool idea to use the plastic wrap for the wet effect clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

- I really thought it was raining when you took it rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    And there you have it. Thanks for sticking with me this long.

— Kevin

Thanks for sharing. Wouldn't a ladder and a little water have accomplished the same thing? mwink.gif I think you've just convinced me to never use Photoshop. eek7.gif:D
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Very cool idea to use the plastic wrap for the wet effect clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

- I really thought it was raining when you took it rolleyes1.gif

Actually it was raining. Just not hard enough and the light wasn't picking it up very well.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Thanks for sharing. Wouldn't a ladder and a little water have accomplished the same thing? mwink.gif I think you've just convinced me to never use Photoshop. eek7.gif:D

Sorry my satellite imaging unit was not working that day. headscratch.gif Also, Photoshop is why digital images are rarely allowed in court as evidence. "Don't believe everything you see."

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Actually it was raining. Just not hard enough and the light wasn't picking it up very well.

rolleyes1.gifCool rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Sorry my satellite imaging unit was not working that day. headscratch.gif Also, Photoshop is why digital images are rarely allowed in court as evidence. "Don't believe everything you see."

I got rid of a table edge and a candle using Cloning in Aperture for my entry and I felt guilty about it.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I got rid of a table edge and a candle using Cloning in Aperture for my entry and I felt guilty about it.

I hear you. I try to get the most out of the camera as well myself. Sometimes you just have to do a little more polishing than usual.eek7.gifthumb.gif

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    michswiss wrote:

rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    I think most of us want that PERFECT picture to come straight out of the camera. Lord knows I have fought it as hard or harder than anyone. My pictures will usually be what they are and just tweaked a little. But if I see a idea in my head and need to piece it together in Gimp, then I am happy I have that option.
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Photoshop
    KevXman wrote:
    I hear you. I try to get the most out of the camera as well myself. Sometimes you just have to do a little more polishing than usual.eek7.gifthumb.gif

Ya know.. I hear a lot on this issue on the DG with PS.. After making a lengthy study of Ansel Adams and his work,, I always viewed PS as the "new darkroom" and indeed it is..

If ya know Ansel and his books, then you would know that he was very big on the darkroom and that is exactly what made his images stand out in the crowd.

They say he was a "master" in the darkroom when it came to burning and dodging, and that if you did not see the man behind the camera, then he was in the darkroom, and for endless hours at a time..

So in my humble opinion, the darkroom is equally just as important to know and utilize as an artist in photography. Just a tool to polish your vision....

Although I do agree, if ya start dumping into vector, well then you have lost the photography,, I think there is a fine line of balance..:D

But then that is just me rattling on like I tend to do.... :ivar
    and ya know how that is.. thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Ya know.. I hear a lot on this issue on the DG with PS.. After making a lengthy study of Ansel Adams and his work,, I always viewed PS as the "new darkroom" and indeed it is..

If ya know Ansel and his books, then you would know that he was very big on the darkroom and that is exactly what made his images stand out in the crowd.

They say he was a "master" in the darkroom when it came to burning and dodging, and that if you did not see the man behind the camera, then he was in the darkroom, and for endless hours at a time..

So in my humble opinion, the darkroom is equally just as important to know and utilize as an artist in photography. Just a tool to polish your vision....

Although I do agree, if ya start dumping into vector, well then you have lost the photography,, I think there is a fine line of balance..:D

But then that is just me rattling on like I tend to do.... :ivar
    and ya know how that is.. thumb.gif

Kat

And then, for balance, there is Henri Cartier-Bresson, who reportedly hated the darkroom and didn't develop his own prints.

Bottom line, there are lots of ways to make a picture, from SOOC to almost entirely within Photoshop. There is no "right" or "wrong," on this one; It's a matter of personal taste and aesthetic judgement. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    There is no "right" or "wrong," on this one; It's a matter of personal taste and aesthetic judgement. thumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif Exactly
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Yes I agree
    MarkR wrote:
    And then, for balance, there is Henri Cartier-Bresson, who reportedly hated the darkroom and didn't develop his own prints.

Bottom line, there are lots of ways to make a picture, from SOOC to almost entirely within Photoshop. There is no "right" or "wrong," on this one; It's a matter of personal taste and aesthetic judgement. thumb.gif

Yes, Yes, indeed guys... I most definitely agree... thumb.gifthumb.gifD

I am only making the point > that I don't think it is a negative thing when photographers use PS because it "is" the new darkroom of the new age....

I don't think there are too many images out there that are published on a professional level without it, as a matter of fact most publishers have entire departments dedicated to it, and "mandate the polish before publishing", so I think it is a good and positive skill to know and learn for polishing, at the very least the basics...... that is all I am saying... :D:D:D

Kat
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Finally I was satisfied and decided to quit before going overboard. (As if I hadn't already.)
    — Kevin
    Thanks Kevin, for taking the time to put this together. Its a great tutorial and shows that the "darkroom" is just another tool used to enhance our artistic vision.

I even learned something that I did not know previously, I did not realize you could create the marquee (circle or square) from the center point.

Thanks!
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    MarkR wrote:

H C-B may have hated the darkroom, but he liked the results. He was just able to outsource the processing and printing to someone patient enough to help him realize his vision.

From the start and by its nature, photography has interposed mechanical, chemical and now digital barriers between the photographer and the viewer. Those barriers should be manipulated as much as needed to produce the best possible image. For some the goal may be to minimize the required processing, while others will find unique ways to craft an image. End of the day, it's up to the viewers to decide what they like.

But however much or little processing is done, there has not yet been invented the photographic equivalent to music's "unprocessed" form: the live performance of an unamplified voice or instrument. Until that time, photography is going to always be more or less about processing.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    H C-B may have hated the darkroom, but he liked the results. He was just able to outsource the processing and printing to someone patient enough to help him realize his vision.

From the start and by its nature, photography has interposed mechanical, chemical and now digital barriers between the photographer and the viewer. Those barriers should be manipulated as much as needed to produce the best possible image. For some the goal may be to minimize the required processing, while others will find unique ways to craft an image. End of the day, it's up to the viewers to decide what they like.

But however much or little processing is done, there has not yet been invented the photographic equivalent to music's "unprocessed" form: the live performance of an unamplified voice or instrument. Until that time, photography is going to always be more or less about processing.

Well My GOSH - Halite.. So well spoken.. I think I will just shut up now.. hehe:D

Here - Here- 15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    KevXman wrote:

Nice choice on the plastic wrap Kevin.. I was wondering..:D

Thanks for the share.. I saw your tut on the rays over on the grad school board too.. your good at breaking it down... thanks..thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Halite wrote:

I think we're actually saying pretty much the same thing. An image is taken with a camera. That image is processed (or not) by the camera and the artistador* then decides if it matches his vision or if further intervention is required and to what degree. Lather, rinse, repeat. I have found myself of late using minimal post-processing, but that's probably sheer laziness on my part.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Halite wrote:

All very well said.

I think I just realized something. A lot of what I take is nature, just because I like it. When I am working on those pictures, my goal is to make it look like what I saw.
    With other things, I find myself playing with them more to try to get something "cool" looking out of it.
    Huh, interesting, I just never thought about it.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Harumpf, harumpf! I didn't get a harumpf out of that guy. HARUMPF, HARUMPF! (Sorry, fell into my Blazing Saddles mode.)

I pretty much agree with everyone that Photoshop, or what-have-you, is the new darkroom to be used as little or as much as need be. I admit that I did use it extensively this time. I also hope that I was able to pass on a little knowledge as well. And to think, this invaluable discussion has come about all due to a crappy photo.headscratch.gif

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Linda asked for a how-to on my Small world, so I thought I'd try to write one.

First of all this kind of a funny float-in-the-air ball is a polar panorama. In a sentence, you take a 360 degree view, shoot it, stitch it and then do a polar coordinate conversion.

In more detail, first you need a nice location. I chose a spot in Helsinki called Pikku-Huopalahti on a windless clear day at sunset. A sunset magic-hour will go a long way toward decent light and more so if your location puts the sun in a good direction.

I could have done more fine tuning on just where to stand, but the sun was setting fast so I didn't even go for the tripod.

My original set of 21 images shot at 17mm and f/4 is here. The polar conversion stretches the sky a lot and compresses the foreground, which is why I chose to go with a wider angle - to try to avoid an overload of meaningful detail in the top and the bottom. A wider angle will also make buildings etc. smaller so they don't distort as much. You need to stand away from anything too big - a tree or a house or a polar bear that reaches to the top will end up being a moon. f/4 was an educated guess at a good depth of field from a few meters to infinity.

After a little raw processing mainly using the fill slider to coarsely match foreground brightnesses I loaded the lot into PS and ran photomerge.

howto_small_world_merged.jpg

You can see that Photomerge didn't do a perfect job and ended up with an undulating horizon, so as I prepped it further I gave it a warp. Using a properly leveled tripod would have helped I guess...

At this stage it's important to rotate the picture so that the ends, which are a about to meet, but don't know it just yet, fit together. Hence the horizontal guide in the next picture. The vertical guides are crop markers - I shot past 360 degrees and used a powerline pylon in the distance to mark the exact cut.

howto_small_world_guides.jpg

And now starts the fun. You have your pan all squared up - now get ready to lose most of it: we need to make this into a square. First crop it using the vertical markers for width and the edges for height - the biggest pic with clean edges is the target. Then it's image size tool, uncheck the constrain proportions and, quite crudely, make the width the same as the height:

howto_small_world_squeez.jpg

Looks kinda silly, but it gets better... The bottom becomes the outer part and viceversa so to make a planet floating in the blue - a flip, like so:

howto_small_world_flip.jpg

And now, filters > distort > polar coordinates > rectangular to polar.

howto_small_world_polar.jpg

Et Vóil..not quite. As can be expected the exposures didn't quite match up and there are a few funny things goin' on.

So it's quality time with the healing & cloning brushes dealing with the edges, stitch issues etc. The large areas of sky with messed up clouds I just painted over with a large brush using the eye dropper for colour.

Going final: try different rotations and apply any curves.

Final image:
    573107960_xFrQD-L.jpg
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    I didn't get a harumpf out of that guy.

harumpf! ... sorry your secretary had me distracted with other things...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Linda asked for a how-to on my Small world, so I thought I'd try to write one.
    wow - thanks for sharing that... but I guess I won't be trying that any time soon. WAYYYYYYY out of my league, but very cool.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    wow - thanks for sharing that... but I guess I won't be trying that any time soon. WAYYYYYYY out of my league, but very cool.

It's not all that difficult really. It's a lot of work, but the steps are fairly simple.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Harumpf, harumpf! I didn't get a harumpf out of that guy. HARUMPF, HARUMPF! (Sorry, fell into my Blazing Saddles mode.)

I pretty much agree with everyone that Photoshop, or what-have-you, is the new darkroom to be used as little or as much as need be. I admit that I did use it extensively this time. I also hope that I was able to pass on a little knowledge as well. And to think, this invaluable discussion has come about all due to a crappy photo.headscratch.gif

— Kevin

Harumph!

Also, there's a reason why Adobe's raw format is called Digital Negative - it's meant to be processed in the modern equivalent of a darkroom. In-camera jpegs are like polaroids, aren't they :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Harumph!

In-camera jpegs are like polaroids, aren't they :D
    :(: oh, now that was just plain mean...

rolleyes1.gif
    nah, raw would be above my skills too.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Harumph!

Also, there's a reason why Adobe's raw format is called Digital Negative - it's meant to be processed in the modern equivalent of a darkroom. In-camera jpegs are like polaroids, aren't they :D

Harumpf! What's wrong with Polaroids?

And who has some Lightroom Presets to mimic Polaroids? :D