A counter intuitive thought about workshops...

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited June 29, 2009 in Street and Documentary
...As many of you know, I am offering a week-long Day In Our Life workshop twice in August. Many of you have may have read the extended description on my website and thought, 'not for me - I don't care about documentary photography, or street photography, or photo journalism.' Well, think again.

Workshops come in three basic flavors, and all are extremely valuable. The first flavor, plain vanilla if you will, is the travel workshop - a few days or even a few weeks in an exotic location with a skilled teacher who will help you sharpen your skills as you shoot the scene and enjoy the company of other, generally like-minded photographers;

Then there's the second kind of workshop, one in which you spend the time focusing on mastering a particular skill set. This might be a printing workshop, a Photoshop workshop, a lighting workshop - the latter two of which I know I could definitely benefit from. :D

And then there's the third kind, which is the workshop in which you are forced out of your comfort zone, a workshop spent approaching photography in what is, for you, a new way, a workshop that - hopefully - challenges your assumptions, forces you to consider who and what you are as a photographer, and at the same time gives you some new skills to take back to the photographic world you know and are content to be in.

What I am offering is that last kind of workshop - and I would contend that it can be as valuable to those of you who are studio-based, 'rule-based,' and technology based as it can be for those whose real interest lays more in the street/documentary/pj world.

If anyone wants to discuss this with me privately, feel free to drop me an email.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed