workflow help for beginner

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited June 30, 2009 in Finishing School
Hello, I shoot RAW with small jpeg for easy handling. I used to just download the entire card , then open in Windows , the jpeg would show the photo and the RAW file remained closed with an icon, so i could wizz through the jpegs, delete the unwanted, then later go back and delete the still closed RAW files that no longer had a jpeg file next to it.
I have Windows Vista, now for some reason windows is opening BOTH files, and of course that is so slow and I don't need to open the RAW file to cull the photos. My workflow no longer works for me!
What is the fastest way for me to be able to cull the photos?
I have all kinds of programs, Lightroom 2, DXO. Everything I have tried so far is just so slow compared to my old method. I need advice, please!!
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    this might not be a great suggestion but you could maybe temp move the JPG's into a separate file, delete them there and then just put them back into your folder with your RAW's.

Currently i import all my pics into Lightroom, and flag the ones i want to keep and the ones i dont like, give it a try again.

I hope this helps
    Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
    Flickr
    Smugmug
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    hnjngo wrote:
    this might not be a great suggestion but you could maybe temp move the JPG's into a separate file, delete them there and then just put them back into your folder with your RAW's.

Currently i import all my pics into Lightroom, and flag the ones i want to keep and the ones i dont like, give it a try again.

I hope this helps

Thanks, I would do this, but I don't know how to separate them now, a while back I was offered that as an options in my folders, but that option is no longer there. I think some update changed the way Windows photo gallery folders work, I uninstalled the last two updates but that didn't revert it back .
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    You mention that you have Lightroom. It is designed for a RAW workflow and doesn't need the JPEGs at all. The general idea for a Lightroom workflow would be to pop your card into a card reader. Lightroom would pop up an import dialog. You would enter any specific settings for the import you want (I enter a shoot name onto the end of the import directory), then let LR import and create it's previews (goes pretty fast). Then, you just browse through the images to your hearts content, editing, deleting, marking a rating, etc.... You never have to deal with matching JPEGs. When you're done with a set of images and want to upload some JPEGs to Smugmug, you can either use the LR plug-in and upload directly to Smugmug or you export to JPEG and then upload those JPEGs to Smugmug. This is what LR was built for - image management, fast previewing, editing your RAWs and then exporting to JPEG for some use outside of LR.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Thanks, I would do this, but I don't know how to separate them now, a while back I was offered that as an options in my folders, but that option is no longer there. I think some update changed the way Windows photo gallery folders work, I uninstalled the last two updates but that didn't revert it back .

If you would like to be able to move the .jpgs to a different folder than the RAW images, you might want to consider downloading the free FastStone Image Viewer. It's an excellent viewer with a number of features including viewing images full-screen. You can sort by file type so the .jpgs are all together, and move them en masse into a separate folder.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    ... or now that you think about it you may not need the jpg.'s anymore. Is this true?
    Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
    Flickr
    Smugmug