Options

New Canon Digital Rebel XT, just bought

actorguy1actorguy1 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited June 30, 2005 in Cameras
OK, so I bought a Digital Rebel XT today with a tripod. Now what do I do with it? :-)

Actually I am a novice photographer so I will probably ask a stupid question or two. Will try too scan the forum first.

Anyone also have a Rebel XT. Any "gotchas" I need to worry about?

THanks

Kent :clap

Comments

• Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    actorguy1 wrote:
    OK, so I bought a Digital Rebel XT today with a tripod. Now what do I do with it? :-)

Actually I am a novice photographer so I will probably ask a stupid question or two. Will try too scan the forum first.

Anyone also have a Rebel XT. Any "gotchas" I need to worry about?

THanks

Kent clap.gif
    Welcome to Dgrin, only I can tell you is practice, practice and more practice. Read as much as you can online and look and ask questions. We all were you were at one point :)
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2005
    Welcome to Dgrin, only I can tell you is practice, practice and more practice. Read as much as you can online and look and ask questions. We all were you were at one point :)

Hey thanks for the welcome. I have wanted to take more and better pictures for a long time and always had difficulty with film. I didn't take to it. I am looking forward to learning how to see with photographers eye and learn the art of getting that oh so wonderful shot.

Kent
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    Congrats...have fun.

Tip? Don't freak out when your initial shots don't come out as good as your old point and shoot digicam. It takes time to learn how to get the best out of a DSLR.

Lee
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    Good to know...
    As a matter of fact I was just thinking that. Gee, these photos are not as good as my old ones... what must I be doing wrong.

Thanks for reminding me that these are different beasts.

Kent
    leebase wrote:
    Congrats...have fun.

Tip? Don't freak out when your initial shots don't come out as good as your old point and shoot digicam. It takes time to learn how to get the best out of a DSLR.

Lee
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    I just got my XT. I haven't had a chance to look at its photos on the computer but just playing with it I can tell it's a terrific camera. I am having a busy week so it may be some time before I can really check this thing out. The features and control layout are better than I expected from what I read. The focus point control is so much better then my point-and-shoot. The difference with me is that I have had experience with film SLRs all the way back to the manual K1000.

actorguy1, I just thought of an exercise that might help. If you take a photo that doesn't turn out the way you want (like a portrait), see if you can find a similar one (like a portrait someone else took) in a gallery here at smugmug or anywhere on the web, and post a thread here asking what would need to change in your photo to make it like the better example. Then the people here might be able to point you to XT features and techniques that would get you there. You definitely have a camera that can take you to that point.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited June 29, 2005
    Kent,

Did you get anything else for the camera?

Which lens is on the camera?

How do you want to use the camera?

Answering these few basic questions can help us to help you.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Red BaronRed Baron Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    As already mentioned, there's no substitute for practice, practice and more practice. I'd also add read, read and read some more (books and forums like this one). You'll also need to start working on your post-processing skills since this camera is not a P&S where all of this is completed in the camera. Finally, IMO the sooner you start shooting RAW the better. Don't be afraid like I was at first. Once you discover the incredible flexibility RAW provides (and the stunning results) you'll never look back.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    I don't know about the rebels, but the 20D manual is extensive and tells you everything you need to know about the camera. I probably read it at least 10 times. I actually went over it again last week just so I made sure I wasn't getting into a bad habit pattern of shooting and was utilizing it to its potential.

Shoot in manual and make yourself learn. You can later then decide what works best for you in letting the camera handle it automatically. Personally I prefer aperture priorty for myself now.