Challenge 41---"Brother Bear"

Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited June 21, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Taken at the Animal Ark in Nevada on 6-17-05 1/1600 F/8 51mm Dreb

343%3C36%3B523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2338%3D6%3A%3B%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B3%3B%3B69%3B%3Aot1lsi

Any suggestions to make it better? Challenge worthy?

Thanks for looking,

Eric
"My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com

Comments

• bochiebochie Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    Eric,
    I like your idea about the bears & it's playful surroundings.
    However, in this shot, I feel that the detail on the background is sharper than the bear itself. The bear face is not sharp enough for me.

Some idea about this shot :
    1. Lower to the ground shot when the bear stick his head out of the pool/stone wall.
    2. While the bear is getting in/out of water
    3. If there is another bear, try to include it too
    4. Try some odd angle shot, you'll never know how it turns out.

Hope this helps.
    "Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
    It will never fail you." - Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.pbase.com/bochie
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 20, 2005
    The bear is cool, but I think the shot suffers from some things. You probably whipped the camera out to snag this right?

- It looks like it AF'd much closer than the bear, on the stones
    - speaking of stones, whats the ghost stone sticking out on the top right there :D (distracting)
    - could sharpen up the bear a little, it might be saveable.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    bochie wrote:
    Eric,
    I like your idea about the bears & it's playful surroundings.
    However, in this shot, I feel that the detail on the background is sharper than the bear itself. The bear face is not sharp enough for me.

Some idea about this shot :
    1. Lower to the ground shot when the bear stick his head out of the pool/stone wall.
    2. While the bear is getting in/out of water
    3. If there is another bear, try to include it too
    4. Try some odd angle shot, you'll never know how it turns out.

Hope this helps.
    Unfortanently this was at a zoo about 6 hours away so a reshoot isn't possible. Thank you for the reply and helpful ideas thoughthumb.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    The bear is cool, but I think the shot suffers from some things. You probably whipped the camera out to snag this right?

- It looks like it AF'd much closer than the bear, on the stones
    - speaking of stones, whats the ghost stone sticking out on the top right there :D (distracting)
    - could sharpen up the bear a little, it might be saveable.
    Thanks for the ideas Doc, I'll try saving it. The ghost stone is a dead log that hangs into the poolne_nau.gif This was shot trough glass making it an even harder shot. If I come up with something better I will post the results.

Thanks,

Eric

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 21, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Thanks for the ideas Doc, I'll try saving it. The ghost stone is a dead log that hangs into the poolne_nau.gif This was shot trough glass making it an even harder shot. If I come up with something better I will post the results.

Thanks,

Eric
    Oooh, glass is tough - didn't even realize that was a factor. It'll take a lot of work to fix that. Energy better spent out shooting more :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]