Bikini + waterfall

Comments

• wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    All nicely done! Personally, I'd like to see some connection to the camera though.
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Beautiful place
    Great day
    Lovely girl
    Sexy bikini
    Seductive poses
    Sharp and well exposed images
    And yet it doesn't work ne_nau.gif
    Only after I started to shoot models/fashion on a regular basis I realized that the most beautiful subjects in the most beautiful places doesn't necessarily equal beautiful images. Unfortunately, there is an inevitable time period which one has to go through to get that under one's skin.
    Keep shooting, and don't forget that place! Next year you will bring your model over there - and it will be quite different deal.gifthumb.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    What he said ^ plus...

Great wax job....

#3 has a great retro look for me (perhaps personal associations???)

Rags
    Rags
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    wadesworld wrote:
    All nicely done! Personally, I'd like to see some connection to the camera though.

Why?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I agree with Nik's comments. The reason why they don't work for me is that the poses are so contrived and inauthentic.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I like the B&W the most. These for some reason are the best. At least to my totally inexperienced eye.
  • wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Why?

BD,

A bit hard to quantify. It just reminds me of a portrait photographer's gallery I recently saw where almost every pose had the subject looking up and out of frame. It was obvious the photographer had said "look up and to the right".."OK...left up and to the left"....without a good reason for it. By the end of the gallery I was screaming "How about having them look at the camera?"

Now...why does that bother me here when an entire gallery of Nikolai's where the model never looks at the camera does not? Hmm...good question. I guess the reason is that Nikolai is often focusing on something. He's creating a certain look with the pose. Or he's telling a story with the expression or lighting. Or he's focusing on a certain portion of the body for dramatic effect.

Here we have well-done shots of a pretty girl looking off camera. Without a purpose as mentioned and no connection with the camera, it doesn't work for me. It could work with either a purpose or a connection with the model, but not without. The shots are technically sound - just missing "something."

However, I fully admit that I'm an amateur and zoomer is probably above my skill level, so that may or may not invalidate my comments. I'm just saying what I "feel" by looking at the images.

Certainly no offense intended if anyone disagrees and I'm certainly willing to be told I'm wrong. I'm just a guy looking at pictures and giving my opinion.
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I wouldn't say the whole set doesn't work, only a few pics ne_nau.gif

1. Her left foot is missing and the pose looks very uncomfortable.

2. Waterfall is overpowering the shot. Get the subject closer to the camera & have the waterfall be in the background

3. Her foot .. outch :cry

4. Love it, much better than #2. Fun & fresh iloveyou.gif Would maybe just touch up her hair a bit mwink.gif

5. Works for me, maybe a tighter crop ... or how about a vertical crop? Like the pose though ...

6. My favorite. Love the pose, waterfall is not overpowering, nice crop. iloveyou.gif

7. I like that one too, maybe just brighten up her tummy area a bit more ...

8. Same as above ... the pose just doesn't work for me ...
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Thanks for all the honest critiques.
    I love these pictures, some of the favorite ones I have ever done on any subject. (not just these few but the entire gallery I have on line).
    She is not a model, just a friend of mine, I have shot several times.
    The waterfall was very loud and powerful creating a water and wind storm of its own.
    I gave her no posing instruction other than to try to keep her arms up which got rid of most of the harsh midday sun shadows.
    When she was on the rock down by the water she was Very uncomfortable.
    Hard to see but it had sharp edges and it was a couple feet down into the water and more rocks, a fall would have hurt.
    I absolutely love the pose where she is laying back on the rock, the light and shadow with the contrast of her posing on that hard rock really suits my eye, except for the back left foot which could have been placed better. The rock is pointy and sharp so she again was very uncomfortable. If you look closely the rock is pretty small and the only way she could fit is where she was. The sun was straight into her eyes so lots of shut eye shots.
    I was standing above her on a 15' cliff that dropped straight into the river, so I could not change my angle or get any closer.

I prefer my subjects for shots like this to not be looking into the camera, I do not want a connection with the camera.

We are going to try to go back in late summer when there is less water and we can actually get down to a small beach that will be there and get her in the water late in the evening out of the harsh light with some lighting. That will be a completely different look.

Appreciate all your comments.
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    my favs #6 & #7
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    First Impressions:

She's squinting; she's not comfortable; she's not looking at the camera; I feel like a peeping-tom.

The only one I really like is #2, and I'd have used a slower speed to give the water some movement (say ¼ sec or so); the other reason I like #2 is that it's the only picture which shows any scale, and I think that's really good.

The B & W shots are OK, but there's something strange about the composition; the poses are too contrived. In some of them I'm confused; what is the subject? the waterfall? the girl? I'm confused…

The pics are very "glamoury"

I think with the long shots, if she'd been either totally nude, or wearing a more neutral coloured bikini, I think the shots would have looked better; quite honestly bright red doesn't really go with the nature image (although as I mentioned, #2 looks good).

OK - I've just read the OP's comments and that explains why she's uncomfortable; I'd be surprised to get any worthwhile pics if the model is not totally relaxed and comfortable.

Great location, and a very beautiful woman…

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited June 30, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    ...I'd be surprised to get any worthwhile pics if the model is not totally relaxed and comfortable....
    The "relaxation and comfort" rule is like "the rule of thirds"... A good start but eventually you need to learn when and how to break it:-) deal.gifmwink.gif
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    The "relaxation and comfort" rule is like "the rule of thirds"... A good start but eventually you need to learn when and how to break it:-) deal.gifmwink.gif

…or even "fill the frame" mwink.gif (point taken…)

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    wadesworld wrote:
    BD,

A bit hard to quantify. It just reminds me of a portrait photographer's gallery I recently saw where almost every pose had the subject looking up and out of frame. It was obvious the photographer had said "look up and to the right".."OK...left up and to the left"....without a good reason for it. By the end of the gallery I was screaming "How about having them look at the camera?"

All good reasons. :D I admit I find the poses very contrived, though I'm not bothered by the lack of eye contact. The idea that one is looking down into an isolated pool, where our beauty bathes, is fine, and it might actually be creepy if there was eye contact. But it doesn't look 'real.' Does that make sense?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I guess these are all good critiques and professionally distancing from the subject.

This is a beautiful woman (there I've said it) who is very attractive to all who view the image

So how do you get the best from your subject?

If it were me I would let her walk into the falls and out (to set the nips) quickly take the full 3/4 body shot shiney with drops in full sun (to highlight the drops)

If the shot is contrived or she is looking away, it won't matter.... :D

Just my .02....
    Rags
    edited June 30, 2009
    torags wrote:
    I guess these are all good critiques and professionally distancing from the subject.

This is a beautiful woman (there I've said it) who is very attractive to all who view the image

So how do you get the best from your subject?

If it were me I would let her walk into the falls and out (to set the nips) quickly take the full 3/4 body shot shiney with drops in full sun (to highlight the drops)

If the shot is contrived or she is looking away, it won't matter.... :D

Just my .02....

It's really hard to say what should have been done withought being there in the first place. Walking into the stream may be not possible/dangerous, let along it being a PB/BD cliche for years...
    The most obvious "gotcha" OP got himself into was having two equally appealing subjects in one frame and not establishing any links between them or between them and the camera. I remember Marc (in Montana) saying something to the extent of "one is done and two is none" (and I apologize for the possible misquote, it's been awhile).
    There are other typical mistakes, but I'm not gonna rub it anymore... mwink.gif

All in all, a great example that shooting scantily clad pretty girls *properly* is much harder than it seems... deal.gif
    edited July 1, 2009
    But it is fun!

As I stated before we were very restricted on where we could shoot cause of safety reasons, also time was a problem. No safe way to get in the water.

This is my first ever bikini shoot and I got a bunch of really good pictures, some not so much. Some I really love that everybody else hates, I can live with that.

When I get down there again in better conditions I have lots of ideas on what I will do different.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussions, good stuff!
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I like the photos but think they could be improved upon....so I will post a link to a page that I think can help if you take the time to read thru it.....Peter Gowland Posing and Composing Models ...........one of the things needing improving is.....filling the frame with more of the model.....my personal nit is the hair when lying down....spread the hair out don't let it bunch up under the head......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    My opinion doesn't have any authority since I'm not a glamour/fashion 'tog (or a guy :D), but I really like these, particularly #1 (surprised nobody's commented on the rainbow up near the falls - LOVE that) and 5 (which also has the rainbow, although I wonder how that one would looked cropped in to the falls and resulting in a portrait orientation)

I do agree that clearer emphasis and other of the suggested adjustments could improve them, but I like them. Glad to hear you'll have the chance to do another batch - it will be interesting to see how they evolve after the comments you've had! thumb.gif
    edited July 1, 2009
    Thanks Divamum,
    Glad to see I am not the only one that likes them.
    Appreciate your comments.

divamum wrote:
    My opinion doesn't have any authority since I'm not a glamour/fashion 'tog (or a guy :D), but I really like these, particularly #1 (surprised nobody's commented on the rainbow up near the falls - LOVE that) and 5 (which also has the rainbow, although I wonder how that one would looked cropped in to the falls and resulting in a portrait orientation)

I do agree that clearer emphasis and other of the suggested adjustments could improve them, but I like them. Glad to hear you'll have the chance to do another batch - it will be interesting to see how they evolve after the comments you've had! thumb.gif
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I like the photos but think they could be improved upon....so I will post a link to a page that I think can help if you take the time to read thru it.....Peter Gowland Posing and Composing Models .

A lot more insight on one web page than I have found in several 50 dollar books! Thanks for the resource, Art. thumb.gif
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I like #7 clap.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!