Thoughts...

ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
edited July 1, 2009 in People
I have quite a few shots of this nature and would value other opinions on this type of image. Technically there's not much information there but I think it conveys the feeling I am trying to present. Enough info to tell you it's a fireman but dark enough that you get the sense he is headed into the unknown (which is what they do most of the time). Anyway I just wondered if there was enough there to make it interesting for anyone else.

576343660_nQ6f8-L.jpg

Thanks,
Wes
www.clix-photo.com

Comments

• wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    It's definitely interesting and should definitely be kept if part of a larger set that tells a story.

I don't think non-firefighters would be interested in seeing a dozen of those though, so I'd use them sparingly.

Obviously, the more elements in the photo the more interesting it becomes. If there were visible fire to his left for example, it goes from an interesting shot to perhaps a spectacular shot.
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Clixphoto wrote:
    I have quite a few shots of this nature and would value other opinions on this type of image.
    576343660_nQ6f8-L.jpg

Thanks,
    Wes
    www.clix-photo.com

Something like this strikes me as much stronger. I think it still conveys what you were going for, but contains just enough additional visual information so that it's easier to read.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • jvgphotojvgphoto Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Something like this strikes me as much stronger. I think it still conveys what you were going for, but contains just enough additional visual information so that it's easier to read.

This has gone from good to excellent, in my view.

Best,
    Jon
    "Where there is no elegance of the heart...there is no elegance." Yves Saint Laurent
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    jvgphoto wrote:
    This has gone from good to excellent, in my view.

Best,
    Jon

Ditto. Much more "alive".
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I also worked with a version of the same shot with the levels adjusted. At the time I preferred the darker version. However, reading reactions I might be swayed otherwise. My levels adjusted version also comes with a tighter crop. Does the crop work or should I stick with the original crop?

578436445_4eZsw-L.jpg

Wes
    www.clix-photo.com
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I think the crop works... The original seemed to make me feel removed from the situation, whereas the crop pulls me in and leaves me wanting more.

Clixphoto wrote:
    I also worked with a version of the same shot with the levels adjusted. At the time I preferred the darker version. However, reading reactions I might be swayed otherwise. My levels adjusted version also comes with a tighter crop. Does the crop work or should I stick with the original crop?

578436445_4eZsw-L.jpg

Wes
    www.clix-photo.com
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    oooh I really like the editing changes...and the crop really brought me into the scene... nice work!
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I think a b/w version may be simpler and more dramatic.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I think the call is yours on crop or no crop - both work for me, but in different ways. As to color or bw - hold onto your seats, folks! - I vote for color here. My feeling is that the color of the light is part of the story. And when the image is about color, go with color. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    I think the call is yours on crop or no crop - both work for me, but in different ways. As to color or bw - hold onto your seats, folks! - I vote for color here. My feeling is that the color of the light is part of the story. And when the image is about color, go with color. :D

Thanks for all the input. I agree here with the color. My first edit when I started working with the shot was to go black and white. It was not nearly as dramatic as the latest version. The muddy colored smoke with the slight orange glow tells the story in my opinion.
    I still havn't made up my mind about the crop however. Something about the extra space seems to add to the unknown that the firefighter is about to enter. On the other hand I do like the detail of the tighter crop. Jurys still out.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Clixphoto wrote:
    Thanks for all the input. I agree here with the color. My first edit when I started working with the shot was to go black and white. It was not nearly as dramatic as the latest version. The muddy colored smoke with the slight orange glow tells the story in my opinion.
    I still havn't made up my mind about the crop however. Something about the extra space seems to add to the unknown that the firefighter is about to enter. On the other hand I do like the detail of the tighter crop. Jurys still out.

I agree about the color. I like the wider crop.

Caroline