Street shots

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited June 30, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Went out today, before it started to rain. Nothing really was going on. I had the need to work on my composition. The following shots were a result of that. I only took 14 frames today. I felt these were the strongest. C & C please.

578544010_DJGPM-L.jpg

578543994_g22pq-L.jpg

578544013_MHAR3-L.jpg

578544097_MNjfS-L.jpg
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• jvgphotojvgphoto Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Went out today, before it started to rain. Nothing really was going on. I had the need to work on my composition. The following shots were a result of that. I only took 14 frames today. I felt these were the strongest. C & C please.

578544010_DJGPM-L.jpg

578543994_g22pq-L.jpg

578544013_MHAR3-L.jpg

578544097_MNjfS-L.jpg
    Number 4 is great in my opinion, although they all work at some level. I love the Speed Limit Sign contrasted with this lady who looks like she may be breaking the speed limit - very cool street action shot...
    "Where there is no elegance of the heart...there is no elegance." Yves Saint Laurent
  • tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    yeah streetshots... you have to act quick, on impuls...
    so many times iv been too late and its all gone.
    streetshots are hard to crit but easy to comment, they tend to be either good or bad, and very rare,
    like "boogie | photographer" and his "it's all good" serie, something mindblowing comes along....

you was asking about the composition in these, i think they are good,
    it's what going on that makes a street-shot interesting, if you manage
    to capture a "story", something deeper, a moment in a strangers life...
    for me, of these shots, its #3 that got the story, a mother i would guess,
    watching the young ones, with her hand like that, like she is thinking,
    and hoping, for a bright future.

( im a father, so i make my own story, but you did just that... told a story,
    someone else will prob get another one, but the shot works regardless of composition )
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Frank,

Honestly these are the best shots I have seen from you...ever.clap.gifclap.gif They are great from compostion point of view and they all hit a nerve!

Also.. no shadows!!

Maybe you found your groove!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    Frank,

Honestly these are the best shots I have seen from you...ever.clap.gifclap.gif They are great from compostion point of view and they all hit a nerve!

Also.. no shadows!!

Maybe you found your groove!

Qark, let's hope it lasts! Thanks for the compliment. My shots lately have been just a bit better than snapshots. I really set out to frame shots today, too bad it rained. I would have still been out there.

Your mindset changes when you shoot for composition. When I saw the lady in the dress, I looked ahead to see where it would be best to shoot her. Saw the speed limit sign, timed her stride. I must have looked like a stalker tracking her for lilke 5 seconds. lol.

What I like most about these shots, is not the composition, or what's going on in the frame. I like best that these shots represent the idea I had in my head. These were out of 14 frames, when you shoot better, you take less photos I guess.

Thanks for all of the comments guys.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Qark, let's hope it lasts! Thanks for the compliment. My shots lately have been just a bit better than snapshots. I really set out to frame shots today, too bad it rained. I would have still been out there.

Your mindset changes when you shoot for composition. When I saw the lady in the dress, I looked ahead to see where it would be best to shoot her. Saw the speed limit sign, timed her stride. I must have looked like a stalker tracking her for lilke 5 seconds. lol.

What I like most about these shots, is not the composition, or what's going on in the frame. I like best that these shots represent the idea I had in my head. These were out of 14 frames, when you shoot better, you take less photos I guess.

Thanks for all of the comments guys.

haha..I did not see the speed limit sign at 1st. That just adds to it. I liked the pan focus and teh chains and the room you left in front of her to walk through!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:

VERY nice, Frank - these really do show a very different side of you as a photographer.

I particularly like the first and second; the composition is strong in both. The first is really carried by the eyes of the mother, and the way she's watching the kids. Similarly with the second, and the girl's following the bubbles.

The third is the weakest of the set - it really doesn't work. The idea was good, but it's just a mess of elements that don't come together. Perhaps if you'd worked the situation for a bit?

The last one comes close - the motion is terrific - really nice job of freezing her but blurring the back ground. (Did you pan?) And the lines of the chains are a nice element. But when all is said and done, it's just a pretty woman walking. There's no ambiguity, no mystery, humor, no story. So...it's a nice shot of a woman walking, but then what?

But to go out and come back with one solid street 'keeper' is a real accomplishment - and you landed two. clap.gif Nice!
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited June 30, 2009
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Bob. Having your around is helping alot.

The last one was a pan with a slower shutter to show movement. There was really no story behind it. She was just walking home before the rain. I would have loved to have captured some guys gawking her. I had a 10 second window, and that's what I came up with.

There is a cute story behind #3, although the picture is not so great. While I'm observing the young lady with her bubble gun. The other young lady zooms by on her scooter into her bubble field. The make some sort of trade. Scooter for the bubble gun, and then the first young lady repents and asks for her gun back.

That shot would have worked at a different vantage point, but by the time I would have gotten there, the moment would have been gone.

I'll work those photographs and put it as my PJ entry for the monthly challenge over at the assignment part of the forum that Nik is running.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I like them! nice job thumb.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
    edited June 30, 2009
    Here's the link to the full story. http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1147600&postcount=52

Thanks Shannon!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter