Options

Rock Climbing in the Rain

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited July 2, 2009 in Sports
Man it feels like it's been a while since I posted up here. Summer's been crazy busy so far, without a second wasted, so of course I have less time sitting around on my butt inside (Right now I'm at work, so I have an excuse). :rofl Yesterday we brought out a few friends for some climbing in our usual favorite haunt, Archangel Valley. We got out in the morning and didn't see many people on the way in, and with sun peeking through the clouds it looked like we'd at least get some climbing done before the area's typical rainclouds moved in.

To kick things off, here's a stitched pano of Melissa working her way up a 5.7 climb called "The Slot." The rubble you see on the right is leftover trash from gold mining in the early 1900s. The stuff positively litters the area, but is mostly left untouched to to its historical nature.
578056868_BKha8-XL.jpg

Steven makes his way up the route after Melissa finished it off in good style.
578058576_UW7d4-L.jpg

An unknown climber on a nearby route called "Local Motion" 5.8 with Pinnacle Peak looming prominent in the background.
578059091_MVyH4-L.jpg

Kate has been a friend of mine for years, and never tied in to a rope. We finally got her on the rocks this time, and she gave it a shot.
578059916_QisNR-L.jpg

Kate's brother Jake put in some effort as well, as the raindrops started to fall.
578060131_9v8xk-L.jpg

Steven's batteries were dead in his digital camera, so he played around with an old film camera he had.
578060504_SV9pk-L.jpg

As the rain got heavier and the rocks got slick, Melissa volunteered to climb "Zig Zag," a 5.9 climb nearby. She had a bad fall one of the two times she climbed in the past and wound up with a broken back, but she still didn't hesitate to step up and push the limits on this harder climb in conditions that negated the friction between her and the rock. :clap
578061253_v4hLh-L.jpg

Concentration shows on Melissa's face as she slip-slides her way upwards.
578062089_L6tNo-L.jpg

Her smile faded once or twice through the difficult moves, but even the difficult climbing on this slippery rock didn't keep it hidden for long.
578062584_GsnkV-L.jpg

Before Kate took off and went home, I snapped a shot of her and Pinnacle Peak.
578063049_B45Ce-L.jpg

And lastly, as we hiked around a cold and wet valley after calling it quits on the climbing, we noticed a few of these tiny deep blue flowers soaking up the moisture in the thin dirt covering the rocks.
578063560_ckgzr-L.jpg

This summer has been busy so far, and it looks like it'll stay that way, so I may not be around much until winter. :D Hope you all enjoy the posts I do manage to share though!
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Great Shotsclap.gif

thanks for posting

Thanks,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Cool pictures of a sport that doesn't get much recognition. I love 7 & 8
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Makes me want to get back into rockclimbing.

Never did much above a 5.8, mostly 5.7s or even 5.6s :) Also always indoor but would love to play outside.

Now with my oldest getting close to an age to climb hopefully I will get back at it.

Love the scenery and looks like you guys had fun. :)
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Nice Pano, and I really like #3
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Thanks for the comments all! And Toshido: The kids will love it! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    PedroJuanKPedroJuanK Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 2, 2009
    Awesome shots, luv'em all especially the pano one.