Options

How to Auto-Identify Jersey Number?

ClevesCleves Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 2, 2009 in Sports
Hi everyone,

I am attempting to photograph kayak races. Ideally, I'd like to upload the photos and have software identify the jersey number of the kayaker and place that as the description. Is this doable?

If not, any suggestions for expediting the process?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    not that I know of. The closest thing is Photomechanic but it does not do it automagically
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    For horse shows what I do is set up a whack of folders (whack = a lot) labeled by ring no. (same as jersey no.). Then, I try and take one I D. shot that shows the number for each competitor so I can identify the pair. Basically I have to manually grab the photos (in Aperture) and drag them to the appropriate folder. It's laborious, but I've never figured out anything better. ne_nau.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I wonder if any OCR software would be capable of something like this?
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    lol
    I'm laughing at the fact that it's probably not that far off, think about what you would have said 15 years ago if somone told you that you could take a picture and the computer would be able to catalog it based on geotagging.

Maybe we will be able to auto catalog our pictures in 15 years based on face recognition technology or DNA-Tagging
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    if your camera does custom folders just put each kayaker in a different folder. I am assuming the hit the rapids one at a time of course.

If not, custom folders, then record the photo number of the last number of that contestant. Makes for pretty simple sorting after event.
  • Options
    FL00DYFL00DY Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I've thought this myself for track days. The first event I did, I think I spent a week going through and adding the numbers to the keywords in LR headscratch.gif I just gave up :(
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” - Jeremy Clarkson

My Blog: www.floody82.com
    My Photos: floody82.smugmug.com
  • Options
    codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    Maybe we will be able to auto catalog our pictures in 15 years based on face recognition technology or DNA-Tagging

iPhoto does auto-face recognition and cataloging today, no need to wait 15 years. I can't say how well it works, but it's there.

The software to do auto recognition of jersey numbers shouldn't be hard (at least, not for one that would work in 80% of cases), although it's enough of a niche product that you probably can't find off-the-shelf software to do it.

--Ian
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    codrus wrote:
    iPhoto does auto-face recognition and cataloging today, no need to wait 15 years. I can't say how well it works, but it's there.

The software to do auto recognition of jersey numbers shouldn't be hard (at least, not for one that would work in 80% of cases), although it's enough of a niche product that you probably can't find off-the-shelf software to do it.

--Ian
    The new iPhoto? can catalog based on face recognition?
    Like, find all the pictures of Jonathan, the same way lightroom can go and get all the pictures taken at f8