14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif - it's about bl**dy damn time!

The cynic in me has to say that this is just going to make it harder to determine if one is dealing with a bait-and-switch operation - that is, if you aren't dealing with one of the long-term reputable firms. deal.gif
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    I do not understand why anyone would go anywhere other than B&H (or another reputable dealer) for their rig. I have no connection to B&H other than as a loyal customer, but you get what you pay for, and "if it looks too good to be true it probably is". Cameras, at least pro-sumer and above, are not commodity items -- why take chances over a few bucks? There is no free lunch and there are no "steals" unless the product in question has already been stolen!
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    KED wrote:
    I do not understand why anyone would go anywhere other than B&H (or another reputable dealer) for their rig. I have no connection to B&H other than as a loyal customer, but you get what you pay for, and "if it looks too good to be true it probably is". Cameras, at least pro-sumer and above, are not commodity items -- why take chances over a few bucks? There is no free lunch and there are no "steals" unless the product in question has already been stolen!

People simply don't know any better.

My first DSLR came from Walmart, just like the two Canon powershot S series before that. It was not until I had the DLSR and started looking for lenses I found other camera stores, both good and bad.

Luckily though I also found Digital Grin and great advice from friendly people.

Between Dgrin and The digital picture I found B&H and bought my first lens from them and couldn't be happier.
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Very interesting...

I just bought a Lowepro Dryzone Rover from a Canada-based eBay store (ProDigital 2000)... I was told after my purchase (which amounted to about 40% off what local retailers are selling it for) that it was backordered, and they offered me a refund or any other bag in their inventory.

I really wanted the bag I bought, so I told them I would wait. A few days later, they said they were "pulling one off of their shelves" for me, and it arrived a week later - minus the HydraPak that is supposed to be included with it. I called them on it and now it is apparently en route with next week delivery.

I wonder if I am going through a version of the same thing... If they thought I was dumb consumer and I would take a different bag, or not notice the missing accessory so they could sell it somewhere else separately.

Good to see some are being made accountable.
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • MeefZahMeefZah Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 4, 2009
    Being a novice, I wanted the experience and advice I could only get from a local camera shop.

Turns out the price I got there was on par with almost every other internet price, so not only did I get a good deal locally, but I got sound advice, and started the beginnings of a long term relationship with the local guy.

Internet retailers have their place, and I'm certain there are good ones, but for major purchases (and for me, $500 is a major purchase), it makes more sense to pay a few bucks more and get the peace of mind that comes from dealing with a reputable local establishment.

Glad those shysters get what's coming! thumb.gif
  • photostuffphotostuff Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    I hope they keep the pressure on the sleaze-bag, dishonest merchants who take advantage of the more naive consumers. They ought to be:
    :hung Just my opinion :D
  • Dave PDave P Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Awesome! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Broadway Photo, et. al. Fined & Told to "Change"
    Very interesting and it's about time. Let's see if it actually happens.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10274730-1.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0