• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I think I like to color one's best...they are all very nice
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Jeff I like the black and white shots with the exposed belly the most; not strictly because of the exposure, but I think moreso because the shirt in the colour photos just doesn't gel for me. In any event, a beautiful mom to be...you've captured her well. Thanks for sharing.

Rob
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I like the pose in #6. I think is is the most flattering of the shots.
    In #2 I would like to see her right hand doing somthing other than hanging...maybe resting on top of her belly. With preg portraits I like to have one hand on top and on underneath so that it doesn't look like they are trying to "hold up" the belly. All and all another great Jeff job! bowdown.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I am a huge fan of 6 too. Love the hands placement.

I love it that her blouse in that one looks like it wouldn't fit even if you tried.. Cute concept.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    2 and 6 are my faves! I love the colors and light in 2, as well as the comp with the fence. It's just a lovely portrait of a woman who is with child. I read on Zach Arias' blog that he prefers "maternity" portraits to just be portraits of a woman who, at that time, happens to be pregnant (rather than making them about the belly). I tend to agree as I don't personally prefer belly exposing shots. I like 6 because her expression is so great and I like the conversion. thumb.gif
    Nice to see some jeffreaux work!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    these are all really cute! The elbows on four are really akward looking tho... I recently did a maternity shoot where she was sitting in an arm chair and I came across this problem too.. where to put her arms without making her look too stiff?? I especially like the one where she is against the fence.. the sun in her hair is so pretty... feels natural. The only other CC I might have... but Im not sure how I would change it...perhaps it was just your sweet model... but her neck looks really stiff to me. Maybe its the consistant expression. Perhaps varying the angle of her shoulders and head more... I dunno... just my thoughts... over all nice job!!!!clap.gif
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Working from the premise that photos start with the light, I gotta say the B&W shots are in a completely different (and higher) strata as compared to the color shots. The exception being that the light on #4 is very good (but a little bright?). I guess it's clear I love the light in the B&W shots.

The blow-by-blow:

1 - Not crazy about the pose or the expression. The square on gaze is just too much square on. The splayed fingers of the right hand - um, you've done much better getting a graceful hand pose.
    2, 3 - The same square on gaze. These two have the same, not happy looking, expression - though it is different from #1. I like the right hand position in #2, not crazy about the left hand.
    4 - A slight head tilt would make all the difference in the world here. I think I might burn in the background - the brown grass - a bit as it's competing for attention with her face.
    5, 6 - these are the best of the series. I love the contemplative look in the #5 and she's well seperated from the background. In #6 - this one appeals to me the most and I can't put my finger on exactly why. I guess I just like it.

And, I agree with Heather - the blouse in the first and last two is spot on - love the concept/idea.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    That first B&W is a great pregnancy portrait; will be treasured for a long time.

I think the reason people aren't unanimous in loving your B&Ws is that they lack pop because the blacks aren't deep enough.
    If not now, when?
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Shannon, Rob, Sandy, and Heather,

Thanks for commenting.

Elaine wrote:
    2 and 6 are my faves! I love the colors and light in 2, as well as the comp with the fence. It's just a lovely portrait of a woman who is with child. I read on Zach Arias' blog that he prefers "maternity" portraits to just be portraits of a woman who, at that time, happens to be pregnant (rather than making them about the belly). I tend to agree as I don't personally prefer belly exposing shots. I like 6 because her expression is so great and I like the conversion. thumb.gif
    Nice to see some jeffreaux work!

Elaine, I admit that I agree with Zack, and you on this. This is only a second attempt for me with maternity, and in my first set we did exactly what Zack describes. This young lady, however, was sure that she wanted bare belly photos....which presented a problem for me to solve...as I see sooo many bare belly maternity shots that are a complete turn off. What's with the sports bra thing anyway? ...and Ive seen bare belly outdoor shots in what appears to be public places. That just seems too off kilter for me....doesnt seem to follow with reality at all. So when we discussed it....and we had several discussions...my questions were....why not a pretty bra? Don't pretty bras cover the same?...or at least as much as a bikini top?......Why bare belly at all?.....Why not a nice gown...or something that buttons up the front that can be manipulated that way?

The white shirt is a compromise that we could both handle...and the shots were all done at her home....about an hour from my place. I thought it might be plausible for the baring of her belly on the back porch. The only other alternative I would have considered would have been her own bedroom or the nursery.

I really liked the natural light on the porch...and was able to balance it nicely with a single flash.

I appreciate the input. Us guys (thankfully!) know nothing of pregnancy, and so it's hard to understand exactly how best to handle this type of work. It's definately a balancing act!
    edited July 2, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    these are all really cute! The elbows on four are really akward looking tho... I recently did a maternity shoot where she was sitting in an arm chair and I came across this problem too.. where to put her arms without making her look too stiff?? I especially like the one where she is against the fence.. the sun in her hair is so pretty... feels natural. The only other CC I might have... but Im not sure how I would change it...perhaps it was just your sweet model... but her neck looks really stiff to me. Maybe its the consistant expression. Perhaps varying the angle of her shoulders and head more... I dunno... just my thoughts... over all nice job!!!!clap.gif

Thanks for your comments.
    edited July 2, 2009
    Working from the premise that photos start with the light, I gotta say the B&W shots are in a completely different (and higher) strata as compared to the color shots. The exception being that the light on #4 is very good (but a little bright?). I guess it's clear I love the light in the B&W shots.

The blow-by-blow:

1 - Not crazy about the pose or the expression. The square on gaze is just too much square on. The splayed fingers of the right hand - um, you've done much better getting a graceful hand pose.
    2, 3 - The same square on gaze. These two have the same, not happy looking, expression - though it is different from #1. I like the right hand position in #2, not crazy about the left hand.
    4 - A slight head tilt would make all the difference in the world here. I think I might burn in the background - the brown grass - a bit as it's competing for attention with her face.
    5, 6 - these are the best of the series. I love the contemplative look in the #5 and she's well seperated from the background. In #6 - this one appeals to me the most and I can't put my finger on exactly why. I guess I just like it.

And, I agree with Heather - the blouse in the first and last two is spot on - love the concept/idea.

Thanks Scott,

I agree on your comments. I too like the light in the BW's. ..especially the first....and am already studying these to see where I need to do differently next time. The hands are an issue for me here. Your right.....Ive done better.

Thanks for commenting.
    edited July 2, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    That first B&W is a great pregnancy portrait; will be treasured for a long time.

I think the reason people aren't unanimous in loving your B&Ws is that they lack pop because the blacks aren't deep enough. Compare with this:

You can do a lot better starting with the full sized raw.

While I appreciate your input, I consider it rather rude to re-edit, and post someone else's photograph without permission. Please remove.

Thank you.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    While I appreciate your input, I consider it rather rude to re-edit, and post someone else's photograph without permission. Please remove.

Thank you.

Done. Reediting happens all the time on dgrin. If you really don't want it to happen, perhaps it would be a good idea to add a notification to your signature and/or avitar?
    If not now, when?
    edited July 2, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Done. Reediting happens all the time on dgrin. If you really don't want it to happen, perhaps it would be a good idea to add a notification to your signature and/or avitar?

Thanks.

I purposely kept the black point "thin" , and while it may not appeal to all....it serves its purpose for me.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ...well...in a few weeks.

From Monday.

1-
    579300252_jZskS-L.jpg

Some day, in some way, the universe will find a way to get even with Demi Moore for posing for that Vanity Fair cover. mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I have to say that I really like #2,3. Normally, I don't like printed shirts for portraits, but in these shots it works. They have an old-fashioned, gentle, soft look about them that I miss seeing in photography. Her expression, I feel, is appropriate as well...serious but sweet. When your are at that stage in your pregnancy, there can be a lot on your mind. You captured her very well in these photos.
    edited July 2, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Some day, in some way, the universe will find a way to get even with Demi Moore for posing for that Vanity Fair cover. mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

headscratch.gif
    I doubt it....

...but I would eagerly join the revolution.

...and I know too that the shot you mention is where these "ideas" stem from.....but why do folks want to mimic that in a sports bra and sweat pants.

I mean...if your gonna mimic it....mimic it...right?

I think that would put an end to the majority of it.rolleyes1.gif
    edited July 2, 2009
    barbnjon wrote:
    I have to say that I really like #2,3. Normally, I don't like printed shirts for portraits, but in these shots it works. They have an old-fashioned, gentle, soft look about them that I miss seeing in photography. Her expression, I feel, is appropriate as well...serious but sweet. When your are at that stage in your pregnancy, there can be a lot on your mind. You captured her very well in these photos.

Thanks,

She was wearing that top when I arrived...and on the front porch I shot a series that included the rocking chair shot that I posted. It began raining. We moved to the back porch after discussing the different tops she had chosen and some shots she wanted. She changed blouses several times while shooting on the back porch ....and when the rain stopped, I suggested....after seeing the other tops that she change back to that one. It seemed the best fit for her...as well as the environment. The others would have best worked only in BW....

I appreciate your comments.