DSS 29 thoughts

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited July 6, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
The song...

A Thousand Paper Cranes by the Japanese post-rock band Mono.

The picture is of a giant Roll Cloud that spun its way overhead this morning.

579517901_byeE8-L.jpg

Greg
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Never heard of this band before, had to go look the video up.. I see directly how this fits the video and the tune itself.. However, I am not sure it makes a strong enough connection to the actual title of the song.. We need some actual "paper cranes" got any handy? lol rolleyes1.gifD

Awesome shot by the way, it looks like the sky is rolling up..
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    You're right. This is definitely a case of capture first and try to get a song title to fit. Mono's album title for this song is something about Walking Clouds, but it's not a song title. But I love the Japanese folk tale about what a string of a thousand paper cranes stand for, and how it is broaden to symbolize world peace. But using this picture, when it was a quick snap of an interesting, but awe-inspiring weather event, almost feels like cheating anyway.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I have never seen a cloud like that before. :wow Awesome!

I'm not familiar with the song so the title makes no sense to me with regard to the photo. ne_nau.gif But what do I know about Japanese rock bands -- nothing. rolleyes1.gif

But, you've photographed an awesome cloud formation! You may want to try a curves adjustment on it to bring out more detail in it. May even experiment with a black & white version?
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 2, 2009
    pretty cool imagine indeed! thumb.gif I also do not know the connection between the title (song) and picture but am sure you will work something out.
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    What about a Beach Boys song? Something to do with surfing, or wipeout?

Cool shot!
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    The Thunder Rolls - Garth Brooks

BTW... love the cloud. Glad you caught that.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    "God Shuffled His Feet" by Crash Test Dummies??? headscratch.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    The main issue is Rule #1, the Photo must be your work.... ne_nau.gif sorry man...

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1148342&postcount=1
    Aaron Nelson
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    The funny story behind that is, when I couldn't leave work, I called my 11 year old son, who is just getting into the hobby (and is good too, he's got a gallery on my smugmug site), told him to get my camera, told him the settings to use, told him where to go, and then helped him process the pic in PS!

But, you're right. This is not going to be my entry. I'm still just in awe of the site of this cloud. And I do like the God Shuffled His Feet title suggestion!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    my boys loved their own web gallery too...its cool to see the gears in their heads turning when they see photography of their own on the internet.thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Fantastic cloud!

I would add some spiciness to it though, by playing a little with the curves and maybe saturation...
    and I would also crop the image a little to the bottom (maybe about 10-20 pix)

In terms of title, I agree with others - maybe you can find a more related song title headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • erinnphotogerinnphotog Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    The song...

A Thousand Paper Cranes by the Japanese post-rock band Mono.

The picture is of a giant Roll Cloud that spun its way overhead this morning.

579517901_byeE8-L.jpg

Greg

How about Sting's "Heavy Cloud No Rain"? Beautiful capture - looks like a surfer's dream in the sky!