Best Camera Ever

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited July 12, 2009 in Cameras
I was pleased to see this review of the new Olympus E-620. I have been very happy with mine.
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Olympus-E620-DSLR-11192#Skip_to_Verdict
To quote the review:
"The new E-620 from Olympus could just well be the most perfect camera ever made."
Now, in an effort to avoid upsetting a lot of people with such a claim - the reviewer does emphasize that this camera is not meant to compete with full Pro DSLRs. However, for the majority of DSLR users, this one wins the prize.

Comments

• silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    +1

mwink.gif
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I hate to start a Nikon vs Olympus argument... but people praised D90 as the ultimate camera. Is there something the Olympus has that simply outclasses the D90?
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Best ever? I am sure that many would disagree. The review is very good, and supported with good quality materials.
    It would really depend on the user as to whether or not this camera would fit their needs though.

There are a few factors that would keep me from using this system.

Crop factor: 2x (I need the full frame)
    Sensitivity: ISO100-3200 (I routinely shoot at much higher ISO)
    Focus points: 7 (D3 has 51)
    Body is Glassfibre reinforced plastics
    4fps (D3 has 9fps)

Now this doesn't mean that it is a bad system or that someone wouldn't find it perfect for their needs, but perfect overall???? I know people who don't care for the top of the line Nikon or Canon systems also.

What makes photography so great is no matter the system, it requires the person behind it to make a special image.
    Steve

Website
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 2, 2009
    Mav wrote:
    I hate to start a Nikon vs Olympus argument... but people praised D90 as the ultimate camera. Is there something the Olympus has that simply outclasses the D90?

You would have to read the article to learn what the original author used as criteria for making that statement. Suffice it to say that Both Olympus E-620 And Nikon D90 owners have a lot to rejoice about. There is no need to declare an "absolute winner" because they both have a lot going for themselves.

A lot of times authors will make bold, ethereal and grandiose claims just to draw readers. In the case of the Olympus E-620 it is just an amazing "little camera that can", and it makes no apologies to anyone. (How's that for a bold, ethereal and grandiose claim? mwink.gif )

Seriously, the size, weight and shared features with the top-end Olympus E-3 make the Olympus E-620 a fairly easy selection for Olympus shooters. (I just wish I knew what happened to the E-600 and E-610?)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I wasn't trying to make an us vs. them. I just got excited to see others praise something I have. Makes me feel good:D
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    33 minutes and counting until I get off work and head to Adorama to pick up my new best friend, the Olympus E620 w/ two kit lenses for $749.00.

I'm so excited I can hardly contain myselfwings.gif :ivar rolleyes1.gifclap.gif (forgive the overuse of the emoticons but I'm feeling giddy) . It is very hard to maintain a professional demeanour as the clock is ticking down. I feel like my kids when they hear the Mr. Softee icecream truck around the corner.

I will rush home to charge it and then make myself read the manual from cover to cover and then.....well the world is my oyster!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    33 minutes and counting until I get off work and head to Adorama to pick up my new best friend, the Olympus E620 w/ two kit lenses for $749.00.

I'm so excited I can hardly contain myselfwings.gif :ivar rolleyes1.gifclap.gif (forgive the overuse of the emoticons but I'm feeling giddy) . It is very hard to maintain a professional demeanour as the clock is ticking down. I feel like my kids when they hear the Mr. Softee icecream truck around the corner.

I will rush home to charge it and then make myself read the manual from cover to cover and then.....well the world is my oyster!

Sweet! Let us know how it goes! Also share some pix:D
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Best ever? I am sure that many would disagree. The review is very good, and supported with good quality materials.
    It would really depend on the user as to whether or not this camera would fit their needs though.

4fps (D3 has 9fps)

Now this doesn't mean that it is a bad system or that someone wouldn't find it perfect for their needs, but perfect overall???? I know people who don't care for the top of the line Nikon or Canon systems also.

What makes photography so great is no matter the system, it requires the person behind it to make a special image.

I shoot both Olympus and FX Nikon, and unless you're using prime lenses mostly, the crop factor is no issue because Olympus makes a full line of lenses specifically made for that sensor, and they have a great ultra-wide-angle with the 9-18

And about the 620, it really is the ultimate backup/travel camera. Since it's basically the same size as my 420 you can fit it and a complete kit in a tiny bag
  • ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    The best camera i found is that one you can use it to get the right shots as you want, so consider which camera then??? :D thousands or maybe millions
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Best camera ever is simple. The original Kodak is the best camera ever. It introduced the internal shutter and roll film. Two inventions that advanced photography from plate emulsions and the removal of the lens cap to record an image.

2nd best camera ever was the Kodak #2 or affectionately know as the Brownie. It brought photography to the masses.

3rd in line has to be the Nikon f/f2. Ground breaking design for the 35mm. It's simple concept has continued to shape the photography world into the digital age.

There are dozens of cameras that eclipse the modern digital camera as best. These are but a few. :D
  • OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Wrong Focus!
    The best scalpel in the hands of a poor surgeon is not very useful.

We should all concentrate on photography and not "the best" of anything. Best is always at least a very complicated thing to define.
  • AlistairJAlistairJ Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009

4fps (D3 has 9fps)

Now there's something - the Nikon faithful have to dig deep and roll out the D3 to do battle with the E-620. :ivarwings.gifJeez it must be good thumb.gif