2009 Canadian Gymnastics Championship

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited July 9, 2009 in Sports
Decided to take a break from trying to get paid and to get permission to use my photos from the 2009 Canadian gymnastics championship. So while I am fighting to get paid for my work i have decided to, basically, do what I want with the photos how I want to. In reality that means post them here for feedback and likely take them to a couple local gymnastics clubs as examples of my work to see if I can get in there.

Anyways, enough of a sob story and on to some pictures.

580191876_2b5aU-L.jpg

580189969_KBeZk-XL.jpg

3. This image was a huge hit with the mother.
580190267_B33jT-XL.jpg

Couple more pics HERE

I was impressed with the 50D high ISO performance. These were all ISO 2000+. Shot medium JPG. I did run these through noiseware though to clean them up some.
Still very impressed considering the tough lighting conditions.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 6, 2009
    Gymnastics is something that seems difficult to work. Lots of busy backgrounds and very low light. You have nice action. My comment would be to watch white balance and to pay more attention to the background--in the third, you have a couple of stray stars :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    White balance adjustments was limited by shooting in JPG. it seems that the auto white balance would also have issues from shot to shot on a regular basis.

Backgrounds also limited because of requirments to shoot multiple events.

Thanks for the comments though, and yes you are right in all those comments. You are also right in that getting great gymnastics shots is indeed very hard.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    White balance adjustments was limited by shooting in JPG. it seems that the auto white balance would also have issues from shot to shot on a regular basis..
    For indoor sports, I tend to use custom white balance and find that almost anything is better than AWB. The tool by phoxle is the one that I prefer and recommend (bought about seven different ones).

And I tend to set a CWB each and every single time I change position and I often shoot in jpg.

Nice done! Gymnastics isn't easy...
    edited July 6, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    White balance adjustments was limited by shooting in JPG. it seems that the auto white balance would also have issues from shot to shot on a regular basis.

Backgrounds also limited because of requirments to shoot multiple events.

White balance in gyms or under lights that cycle is indeed difficult.

I always forget that gymnastics usually has several different events happening at once.
  • Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Any specific reason why you shot in JPEG and not RAW? Just curious... Nice job otherwise.

I am trying to get in to shoot more gymnastics, but my daughter took some time off after a broken ankle, so we don't go to the gym as often now.
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Was working for a woman that wanted everything JPG.

Every gymnast's photos went into their own folder on my camera. When i had a chance to go back to the table I then unloaded the pictures to the computer, sorted either by event or athlete and then they were available for viewing and purchase.

Zero post, maximum turn around time.

These examples have just been cropped and run through noiseware, that's it....
    edited July 9, 2009
    I've come back to this thread as the comments have come in. One thing i keep noticing is the expressions each of the athletes have. Looks like they're having a pretty good time :D