First Post - Sunset picture from my roof

hrgerenahrgerena Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited July 3, 2009 in Landscapes
First post on dgrin.

This shot was taken from my roof. And is also HDR processed. (I'm a coplete newby on HDR Imaging) :huh But C&C are very welcome.

578691921_Cwfgp-L.jpg
H.F. Gerena
My_SmugMug
“When the mind is disturbed, the multiplicity of things is produced, but when the mind is quieted, the multiplicity of things disappears”

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    The exposure on the sky is fine as are the colors.

I wouldn't have known it's HDR unless you told me. Normally with HDR I would expect to see the trees exposed as well as the sky giving you the broader dynamic range. Does the 0EV exposure look about the same as this image or were you processing a lot of dark images?

This may be a hard picture for HDR if you only captures 3 images (-2EV, 0EV, +2EV) depending on the range of light present. Normally you might set your 0EV exposure to bring out the trees, -2EV would get the sky, and +2EV would bring out the darker regions in the trees?

How did you expose for HDR?
  • hrgerenahrgerena Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    The exposure on the sky is fine as are the colors.

I wouldn't have known it's HDR unless you told me. Normally with HDR I would expect to see the trees exposed as well as the sky giving you the broader dynamic range. Does the 0EV exposure look about the same as this image or were you processing a lot of dark images?

This may be a hard picture for HDR if you only captures 3 images (-2EV, 0EV, +2EV) depending on the range of light present. Normally you might set your 0EV exposure to bring out the trees, -2EV would get the sky, and +2EV would bring out the darker regions in the trees?

How did you expose for HDR?

Hi Tom; Thanks for your comments.

Right now I can only tell you that yes I used 3 images (-2EV, 0EV, +2EV). The other questions are too advance for my knowledge in HDR. I just opened the Software load the 3 Picture in RAW and press the rest of the keys. This was my very first picture processed in HDR and I had no idea of what I was doing.
    H.F. Gerena
    My_SmugMug
    “When the mind is disturbed, the multiplicity of things is produced, but when the mind is quieted, the multiplicity of things disappears”
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Great colors in the sky and I like the silhouetted effect. Doesn't look HDR to me either.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    First off welcome to dgrin. The sky is beautiful in this image but I'd like to see some detail in the shadows. If you used photomatix pro to do the tone mapping, you have two choices (Tone Compression and Detail Enhancer) TC preserves shadows while DE allows you to bring out the details in the shadows. Don't know how you did your HDR conversion but Photomatix is wonderful and you can download an unlimited trial version (it puts a watermark on your images which can be removed once you buy the license). You should give it a try. The best book I've found on HDR is the Complete Guide to High Dynamic Range Digital Photography by Ferrell McCollough.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Shoot from your roof more often!
    Nice. Subtle HDR ... I love the color and the details in the clouds.
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Hello, the sky is really nice in this one. I'm just beginning to dabble with the hdr process myself. I over cooked my first attempt in a bad way.
    wendell
  • hrgerenahrgerena Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    First off welcome to dgrin. The sky is beautiful in this image but I'd like to see some detail in the shadows. If you used photomatix pro to do the tone mapping, you have two choices (Tone Compression and Detail Enhancer) TC preserves shadows while DE allows you to bring out the details in the shadows. Don't know how you did your HDR conversion but Photomatix is wonderful and you can download an unlimited trial version (it puts a watermark on your images which can be removed once you buy the license). You should give it a try. The best book I've found on HDR is the Complete Guide to High Dynamic Range Digital Photography by Ferrell McCollough.

Hello Jack;

Thanks for the advice, specially on the book. Like I said before I have no knowledge or idea in how to use HDR, I hope I can get better on it and post more results.
    H.F. Gerena
    My_SmugMug