McNally 1 Day Class

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited July 6, 2009 in People
I recently went to Joe McNally's one day workshop in Dobbs Ferry, NY.

578129850_KG7RL-L.jpg

I hesitate to show many of my shots, because I had help setting them up, but it was such fun and ultimately I directed them, so I thought I might share what the class offered.

578549229_VVLXC-L.jpg

I arrived into a class of 14 students and about the same number of assistants. There was a brief slide show on Joe's work - really nice stuff - then an introduction.

We had a short lesson on clamshell lighting.

578127220_poo4F-L.jpg

And got the chance to get out our own equipment. Now it gets pretty cool - I pull out my camera (of course with the Smugmug Strap attached) and immediately a woman from California exclaims " Smugmug!". After a brief set of introductions, we know each other from the forum and continue to have a fun exchange about people we know in common from here. (She can decide if she wishes to reveal herself!)

Joe is of couse a hoot, always talking kind of at you....

578127345_RsSgF-L.jpg

But the raw talent is immense. I didnt think much of it at the time, but upon reflection I really learned a lot and had a cool time.

578549998_GrK2g-L.jpg

You have seen many of these models on his other sites, but these are mine - with some set up advice from the instructors.

578553285_tjaxJ-L.jpg

It was a really fun day, a group of us even went to dinner to continue the discussions. It was a long ride home that night, but a day well spent.

578129952_vxyy6-L.jpg

Channeling my inner Nik!

578131544_qbkQE-L.jpg

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Looks like a fantastic workshop. That last shot is really, really well done
    E
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Looks great! But why do I never know about these things! I live about 1 hour away and would have loved to attend! Where do you find these workshops? UGH!!!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 2, 2009
    Looks like you had a great time!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 3, 2009
    Looks like you had a great time - cool shots too!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Looks great! But why do I never know about these things! I live about 1 hour away and would have loved to attend! Where do you find these workshops? UGH!!!

A lot of these guys have frequent blogs that I follow. Joe had a brief announcement on his and it sold out fairly quickly.

Next up David Ziser: http://digitalprotalk.blogspot.com/

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Great shooting, Z, Looks like you had fun! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    wow that must have been intense, I would have needed a voice tape recorder to retain all the info giving...
    Aaron Nelson
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 3, 2009
    Great shots. Looks like a well worthwhile clinic. thumb.gif

-joel
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    I would LOVE to go to a workshop! Some great shots!!!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Zanotti wrote:
    And got the chance to get out our own equipment. Now it gets pretty cool - I pull out my camera (of course with the Smugmug Strap attached) and immediately a woman from California exclaims " Smugmug!". After a brief set of introductions, we know each other from the forum and continue to have a fun exchange about people we know in common from here. (She can decide if she wishes to reveal herself!)
    It was great meeting you! Such an unexpected surprise!

And you were getting that last shot in this frame!

582697840_39Xdm-M.jpg
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Wow, that looks like a monster of a lens... what is? 200 f/2?

Anyway, sounds like an awesome time... and you got some great shots as well! I'd love to go to one of these someday, I'm a big fan of McNally's work and his books are awesome.