P&S Recommendation?

MacyMacy Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited July 5, 2009 in Cameras
Hi - I was wondering if anyone has an opinion for me??

I am helping my parents shop for a new point and shoot (definitely a p&s, don't want a DSLR). Here are the basic requirements:
1. User-friendly (i.e. they are fine with doing the basics on a digital camera and computer, but won't be up for anything super 'fancy')
2. Good optical zoom (They are taking a trip to Africa soon and will be going on a safari. I'm not sure how much zoom they really need??)
3. separate viewfinder
4. # of pixels isn't a huge deal, they won't be making large prints
5. Image Stabilization would be a plus
6. Personally, I tend to prefer Canon or Nikon, but am not completely close-minded
7. I'm not sure of their exact budget yet...

So, from some of the looking I did I came up with the Canon Powershot SX10 IS and Nikon P90, but is that MORE zoom than is really needed? (Can you have too much optical zoom?) I looked a little in the 10x optical zoom range, but alot of those don't seem to have a separate viewfinder.

Any input would be appreciated!!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 3, 2009
    An optical viewfinder is of no use to a long zoom P&S. If a viewfinder is important along with a long zoom then you really do need either an SLR design or an advanced digicam. In the case of the advanced digicam it just has 2 LCDs (or in the case of some of the old Minolta digicams, a mirror provided a different view of the same LCD.)

For a safari I would recommend both stabilization and a long range zoom.

A P&S or digicam is not something I can recommend for any sort of action photography; they just plain lack the resposiveness that action requires. If they anticipate action, and it can happen on a genuine safari, then a dSLR is really the best way to go.

If they just want to capture typical grazing or stalking or napping behavior, a digicam certainly can do the job. I do believe I would concentrate on the lens properties first and the long end of the zoom is probably of greatest importance.

The Olympus SP-590UZ has about the longest zoom range as well as the longest focal length among the ultra-zoom digicams. With a range equivalence of 26-676mm, this is the lens that can cover many subjects that most other cameras can not. For snapshots of just about anything in daylight it should be capable of coverage. The camera can also make use of the Olympus "R" series electronic flashes for wireless remote flash photography, especially useful indoors.

The camera has a very competent macro mode, allowing focus as close as 1 centimeter. (Makes it tough to light the subject however.)

19 scene modes allow full automation when you chose one of the modes most suitable for your application. (There are also creative modes of full manual, aperture priority and shutter priority for when "You" want to borrow the camera. mwink.gif ) Unfortunately, there is no RAW mode on this model (but the models that do have a RAW mode do not have a very good implementation.)

AA batteries are used, which is nice for travelling in that in a pinch they are available just about everywhere. For a safari I think I would suggest using lithium cells for best performance.

A potential downside is the use of xD cards, and you need to use the faster cards for best performance.

Still, for the application of a safari and the specified limitation of an easy-to-use digicam I do think this is the camera I would recommend first. I would also include one of the Olympus "R" series flashes for extra indoor versatility.

Reviews:

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/do/ecco.py/view_item?listid=9&listcatid=20&listitemid=4921&live=0#cr

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/olympus_sp_590uz_review/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    I used a Canon S5 IS for a year before jumping into the DSLR world. Ended up recommending one to my parents for nabbing pics of birds and deer behind their house in the country, and so far they've really enjoyed it. I had to walk them thru a few things to get them off of full auto, but they understand enough now to get decent pics.

The SX10 is the replacement, and I expect will be a very competent camera. One thing can recommend is that if they go with the Canon, to pick up the accessory filter adaptor and hood - the reduction in flare and elimination of dust issues by using a UV filter and hood, in addition to the ability to use a real lens cap, were great additions to my S5. thumb.gif
  • ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Canon G10 or Canon G9[if available].