Options

Dumfries Bicycle Festival

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited July 4, 2009 in Sports
These were the very first shots I took of a cycle race. It was at Dumfries Bicycle Festival in South West Scotland. Once again I used the 17-55 on my 40D at 2.8 your C & C and advice would be more than appreciated for future shoots.
Regards
Bob
581128789_wZFVj-L.jpg
581128839_9Wz6P-L.jpg
581128703_QfuP8-L.jpg
581128642_bpRds-L.jpg
581128571_H65az-L.jpg
581128508_uuhUt-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    WTG, Bob, nice!
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    WTG, Bob, nice!

Thanks Andy for replying, I am still working on the WTG.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    These were the very first shots I took of a cycle race. It was at Dumfries Bicycle Festival in South West Scotland. Once again I used the 17-55 on my 40D at 2.8 your C & C and advice would be more than appreciated for future shoots.
    Regards
    Bob
    581128839_9Wz6P-L.jpg

I'm sorry, but by adding a gaussian blur, in this manner, these don't look real, at all.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    I'm sorry, but by adding a gaussian blur, in this manner, these don't look real, at all.

Thanks for replying Jim. Are you saying they would have been better without a blurred back ground?
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    dustin32dustin32 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks for replying Jim. Are you saying they would have been better without a blurred back ground?
    Regards
    Bob

In my opinion, the colors and the compositions are very neat, but the areas missed by the paint brush (I'm assuming that's how you applied the effect) stand out (1st shot, to the left of the cyclists right arm for example). I think the blurred effect is cool, but it doesn't look natural (as a large aperture etc would create).
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    dustin32 wrote:
    In my opinion, the colors and the compositions are very neat, but the areas missed by the paint brush (I'm assuming that's how you applied the effect) stand out (1st shot, to the left of the cyclists right arm for example). I think the blurred effect is cool, but it doesn't look natural (as a large aperture etc would create).

Yes Dustin, I really appreciate what you are saying. I did use the brush and also used the Navigator but probably my old age comes into effect. I really do appreciate your reply and I hope I get more as I want to improve.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    budman101budman101 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    If you crop tighter you will get rid of most of the background without resorting to pp tricks. But, keep the cobbles... Any bike racer will appreciate the extra beating the riders are taking over those.
    www.joemallis.com
    "Most time its not the gear that makes the shot"
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Yes Dustin, I really appreciate what you are saying. I did use the brush and also used the Navigator but probably my old age comes into effect. I really do appreciate your reply and I hope I get more as I want to improve.
    Regards
    Bob

look up "opacity, and feathering" those will help blend in the blur better.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    budman101 wrote:
    If you crop tighter you will get rid of most of the background without resorting to pp tricks. But, keep the cobbles... Any bike racer will appreciate the extra beating the riders are taking over those.

Thanks Budman for that advice which I truly appreciate.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    insanefred wrote:
    look up "opacity, and feathering" those will help blend in the blur better.

Thanks Fred,
    I think you well know I am a newbie and I would appreciate if you could tell me where to go for the Opacity and Feathering regarding the blur. I think I know what you mean but to be reassured is everything. Thanks again for your kind help.
    Regards
    Bob