Given choice...

Howe Creative PhotographyHowe Creative Photography Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited July 4, 2009 in Holy Macro
between the Nikon 105mm macro, Sigma 105mm, Tamron 90mm, or the Nikon 60mm macro which one would you choose??
Money is kind of an option, but which one is the best and what is good enough! Pros/cons?
Bridget:ivar

Nikon D80
Nikon D300s (on it's way)
Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
Tamron 18-200mm
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon 70-300mm
Tamron 90mm macro
some lights and backgrounds

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    between the Nikon 105mm macro, Sigma 105mm, Tamron 90mm, or the Nikon 60mm macro which one would you choose??
    Money is kind of an option, but which one is the best and what is good enough! Pros/cons?
    Hi Bridget, suspect you will find that optically there is little difference between the lenses, all the macro lenses from major manufacturers are optically excellent. I always think a macro lens around 100mm is the best compromise for hand holding and working distance. There will be differences in build quality and perhaps whether the lens extends when focusing. The nikon 105 also has VR (and a suitable price tag) although I'm still not convinced how useful this is when shooting near 1:1.
    I still happily use my sigma 105.
    Brian V.
  • ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    I own the Sigma 105, and Nikon 60, both are great at what they do. Of your listed choices, I would opt for the Nikon 105 VR. However, for the same money, and you wish to shoot insects, look at the Sigma 150(which I also own) or 180. These are spectacular for bug shooting.....thumb.gif