Bridge over troubled water

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited July 6, 2009 in Landscapes
And here we see the mighty Genesee River. Don't adjust your white balance, kids, it really is that color.

(And if you ever wonder where Genny Beer gets it's flavor ... :wink )

C&C always appreciated.

581088538_RCAT8-L-1.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    The composition is fantastic, Mark!
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    The composition is fantastic, Mark!
    The bridge is great, but is there an available perspective that eliminates the building? ne_nau.gif
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    The bridge is great, but is there an available perspective that eliminates the building? ne_nau.gif

I'll try again next time I'm in the area, but I was standing on a pedestrian bridge at the time, with not a lot of options for where to stand without losing the shot completely. ne_nau.gif
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    What about down through the trees near water level so all you see is the river, trees, bridge and sky? I have no idea what the location offers, but that building completely ruins the image for me. Anyone can take an image from a bridge. With a bit of effort, a distinctly different and more striking image might be possible. That bridge must offer other possibilities.
    edited July 4, 2009
    What about down through the trees near water level so all you see is the river, trees, bridge and sky? I have no idea what the location offers, but that building completely ruins the image for me. Anyone can take an image from a bridge. With a bit of effort, a distinctly different and more striking image might be possible. That bridge must offer other possibilities.

Point taken. Although I'm not sure if the bridge I was on was technically available to the public. Shooting from water level isn't really a possiblity without a boat, or a machete, but I'll see what's available next time I'm down there. thumb.gif
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    I agree with prior comment about the building. The sky doesn't do anything for this one either. If there is access, the arches and stone construction of the bridge have some potential for tighter compositions. Also maybe some B/W ne_nau.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited July 5, 2009
    Here's another image, essentially me turned 180 degrees, so you can get an idea of the lay of the land.

582584631_WP9oM-L.jpg

Thanks to all for their comments and critiques. thumb.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Ah, central Central New York. Nice capture. thumb.gif How about cloning the building out and darkening the sky a tad.

Dan:D
    edited July 5, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Ah, central Central New York. Nice capture. thumb.gif How about cloning the building out and darkening the sky a tad.

Dan:D

It's interesting that no one likes the building. When I showed it to local friends none of them even mentioned it. I suspect that they're just used to seeing it as part of the skyline. Either that or they're being overly polite to me. :) I might try for a reshoot this week.

EDIT:

And here's a quick clone-job/sky darkening.

582896137_NrJE3-L.jpg
    edited July 5, 2009
    Much better Mark. thumb.gif

Now it just needs a slight horizontal tweak and a little curves adjustment to make it pop. JMHO :D

Dan
    edited July 6, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Much better Mark. thumb.gif

Now it just needs a slight horizontal tweak and a little curves adjustment to make it pop. JMHO :D

Dan

You are a harsh taskmaster.

582991982_QYRmi-L.jpg
    edited July 6, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    You are a harsh taskmaster.

It's way too over processed Mark rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif (just kidding) thumb.gif
    edited July 6, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    It's way too over processed Mark rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif (just kidding) thumb.gif

:bash

And to think, I dynamited the senior living apartment for nothing. eek7.gif