Fill Flash-Testing

GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
edited July 7, 2009 in People
Hi!
Happy 4th!!!

Please CC on these. I want to feel 100% comfortable using fill flash out doors. The weather here hasn't been the greatest and I have so many photo shoots coming up this week.

These are pics of my babies.

581639315_Uzdui-L.jpg
581634429_fqdfj-L.jpg
581634287_nTzwb-L.jpg
581636290_64M96-L.jpg
581636188_BdZY6-L.jpg

Thank you!
GG

Comments

• Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Looks to me like you're getting a handle on it. None of these has an obvious "flash" look, which of course is what you wanted. The first three do have a shadow cast by the hood, but that's unavoidable, and in any case you balanced with the ambient well enough that it's not distracting or obtrusive. Good work... and your babies have beautiful eyes!
  • GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Looks to me like you're getting a handle on it. None of these has an obvious "flash" look, which of course is what you wanted. The first three do have a shadow cast by the hood, but that's unavoidable, and in any case you balanced with the ambient well enough that it's not distracting or obtrusive. Good work... and your babies have beautiful eyes!

Thank you Tim! and Thank you for the compliment on my cuties' eyes :). The weather is gray today again, so I am going out for more practice!! :)

Have a great 4th!
    GG
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Very nice job! clap.gif Very impressed with #5 around the teeth area.....which could have easily been blown out.

Now that you've mastered fill-flash, what's next on your agenda!? mwink.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited July 4, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Very nice job! clap.gif Very impressed with #5 around the teeth area.....which could have easily been blown out.

Now that you've mastered fill-flash, what's next on your agenda!? mwink.gif

Thank you Christopher! I am looking forward to using fill-flash on my next photo shoot! What is next?
    mastering fill-flash with my flash off camera. :)

Have a great 4th!

GG
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    GemGem wrote:
    Thank you Christopher! I am looking forward to using fill-flash on my next photo shoot! What is next?
    mastering fill-flash with my flash off camera. :)

Have a great 4th!

GG

Just wanted to double-check...you were using your camera's built-in flash, correct? Did you in any way modify the flash intensity?
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited July 4, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Just wanted to double-check...you were using your camera's built-in flash, correct? Did you in any way modify the flash intensity?

I used my Nikon SB-600 on camera and tried as hard as I could to lower the flash output so it can play nice with the ambient light.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    These all look great. As someone else has already pointed out, there is the hoodie shadow....and although that may be un-avoidable, I think the flash is a tad strong in those three shots. Not horribly "flashy", but enough to cause the lighting on her face to become "flat"....with none of the beautiful shaping shadows that are evident in the remainder of the photos you posted.

Looks like you are definately getting a grip on things though.....practice makes perfect!thumb.gif

Great job!:D
    edited July 5, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    These all look great. As someone else has already pointed out, there is the hoodie shadow....and although that may be un-avoidable, I think the flash is a tad strong in those three shots. Not horribly "flashy", but enough to cause the lighting on her face to become "flat"....with none of the beautiful shaping shadows that are evident in the remainder of the photos you posted.

Looks like you are definately getting a grip on things though.....practice makes perfect!thumb.gif

Great job!:D

Thank you Jeff! I will definitely keep practicing!
    GG
  • dyuhasdyuhas Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    GemGem wrote:
    Thank you Jeff! I will definitely keep practicing!
    GG

If you want to master fill flash, you're not going to do it in the shade. Shoot at mid-day under full sun with the camera and flash in manual mode.
    edited July 7, 2009
    dyuhas wrote:
    If you want to master fill flash, you're not going to do it in the shade. Shoot at mid-day under full sun with the camera and flash in manual mode.

Yep. I am down. Totally w. u. I am taking one step at a time. Want to learn every little detail of it. How how the 4 of us interact, The weather, the Camera, The Flash and Myself. Totally down.clap.gif .

Thanks dyuhas!