The Orton Effect

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited July 9, 2009 in Landscapes
Here's a shot I posted a couple of evenings ago, but this time I added an "Orton Effect" using smugmug's "picnic.com" tool.

What do you think?

581717070_VHFw6-L.jpg

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Love it! I have to admit I am one that likes this affect. I've used this affect several times but not the picnic; I'll have to check that out. I've seen most of this used with forests and trees but I have a few with the desert and cactus and I think it works well!
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    I think it looks fabulous too, Dan! This is a shot that really takes a saturation boost well.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Love it! I have to admit I am one that likes this affect. I've used this affect several times but not the picnic; I'll have to check that out. I've seen most of this used with forests and trees but I have a few with the desert and cactus and I think it works well!

Umm, I've never heard of this effect until today. Where have you seen and used it; PS?
    edited July 9, 2009
    Bump for more critical feedback on "effect".

edited July 9, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Umm, I've never heard of this effect until today. Where have you seen and used it; PS?
    Well...it's been around? ne_nau.gif If you search on the forum and web you will see more... :D It's probably my favorite 'effect' as effects go as it is dreamy... I have some in my dreamscapes gallery... I manually do it vs. the auto.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    I've never tried this myself really, but I've seen several threads in Landscapes at least of people trying it out. It seems to come and go in waves though, just like the Silver FX or whatever that is :D

I have to say that the photos I'd seen using the Orton Effect before were much heavier-handed than yours. Depending on what you're going for, you can say you were successful or not quite there lol3.gif

I think your base photo is fine with lots of nice light and good color. Are you going for a dreamier look or are you recovering details? ear.gif

(And... I actually didn't know that Picnik had that effect in there!)
    edited July 9, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Well...it's been around? ne_nau.gif If you search on the forum and web you will see more... :D It's probably my favorite 'effect' as effects go as it is dreamy... I have some in my dreamscapes gallery... I manually do it vs. the auto.

I love your Dreamscapes gallery Eia, and yes I see the effect in thereclap.gifclap.gif . Where do you use your Orton from; PS, stand-alone, or something else?
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Dan, this is a terrific use of Orton--well done! A lovely shot.

Dwayne Oakes uses this a lot; I'm sure you've seen his stuff in this forum but maybe didn't know the technical term for his processing. I have tried it a few times in PS but didn't know about picnic; will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited July 9, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Dan, this is a terrific use of Orton--well done! A lovely shot.

Dwayne Oakes uses this a lot; I'm sure you've seen his stuff in this forum but maybe didn't know the technical term for his processing. I have tried it a few times in PS but didn't know about picnic; will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Lauren

Thanks Lauren. Yes, I looked at Dwayne's work and I am most impressed.

Thanksthumb.gif

Dan
    edited July 9, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I love your Dreamscapes gallery Eia, and yes I see the effect in thereclap.gifclap.gif . Where do you use your Orton from; PS, stand-alone, or something else?

Since I'm using Nikon equip. I use Capture NX primarily. Within it there is a 'gaussian blur'...basically opposite of 'sharpen mask'. Doing this allows me to give it a certain amount. this effect can be found in most programs...and judging by what you did it works just fine with that program.
    edited July 9, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Since I'm using Nikon equip. I use Capture NX primarily. Within it there is a 'gaussian blur'...basically opposite of 'sharpen mask'. Doing this allows me to give it a certain amount. this effect can be found in most programs...and judging by what you did it works just fine with that program.

I found it on Smugmug under tools-> picnic.com Check it out.