New 5D MKII

Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
edited July 8, 2009 in Cameras
Just got my new toy yesterday!

Love that lcd screen...very clear.

Next week I go to Door County, Wi for some shoreline and lighthouse shots.

I was wondering...how reliable is auto ISO? Seems like one less thing to worry about...if it works.

The few shots I've taken around the house make it seem promising.

Also...with the two shots I've edited in ACR so far...it seems like there is a lot more latitude in dynamic range when adjusting curves and levels.

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 4, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Just got my new toy yesterday!

Love that lcd screen...very clear.

Next week I go to Door County, Wi for some shoreline and lighthouse shots.

I was wondering...how reliable is auto ISO? Seems like one less thing to worry about...if it works.

The few shots I've taken around the house make it seem promising.

Also...with the two shots I've edited in ACR so far...it seems like there is a lot more latitude in dynamic range when adjusting curves and levels.
    Congrats and welcome to the club, Ric! I too have noticed significantly more headroom in being able to adjust exposure.

Auto ISO? Never occurred to me to try it. This is a highly sophisticated camera containing one of the most powerful CPUs in the industry. You're supposed to shoot everything in manual. :thwak

Cheers,
    -joel rolleyes1.gif
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Congrats and welcome to the club, Ric! I too have noticed significantly more headroom in being able to adjust exposure.

Auto ISO? Never occurred to me to try it. This is a highly sophisticated camera containing one of the most powerful CPUs in the industry. You're supposed to shoot everything in manual. :thwak

Cheers,
    -joel rolleyes1.gif

:D

With the few shots I've taken...indoors and out...the auto iso seemed to fall right in line with what I would have dialed in anyway. So if I leave it on auto maybe I won't screw up shots where I think of changing iso after the fact. You can still dial in any iso you want while shooting...just remember to put it back on "A" and you'll never be surprised on a quick grab and shoot situation, like I have more than once.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 4, 2009
    I just read the manual on auto-iso, and it does make sense in AV mode. Does nothing for manual mode I guess. But, I love the note about using it with flash. It'll automatically bump down ISO to keep the flash from overexposing. THAT I like. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited July 4, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I just read the manual on auto-iso, and it does make sense in AV mode. Does nothing for manual mode I guess. But, I love the note about using it with flash. It'll automatically bump down ISO to keep the flash from overexposing. THAT I like. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Whoops! I guess I should have said that I shoot in AV mode almost always.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 4, 2009
    Congratulations Ric. The Canon 5D MKII is just an amazing tool for how I use it.

Good luck and good shooting. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Mine's on auto ISO constantly - and it rocks. Only compaint about it is that you can't set parameters for the auto ISO - like a min. max. sometimes it'll crank up to 3200 or drop to 200 with fast and slow shutter speeds (in AV) on its own accord. Doesn't happen that often though...
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    So we are going to see one more guy hanging around in "landscapes", more frequently ?

Congrats ! :ivar
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited July 4, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Congratulations Ric. The Canon 5D MKII is just an amazing tool for how I use it.

Good luck and good shooting. thumb.gif

Thanks, Ziggy! :D
    edited July 4, 2009
    cdub wrote:
    Mine's on auto ISO constantly - and it rocks. Only compaint about it is that you can't set parameters for the auto ISO - like a min. max. sometimes it'll crank up to 3200 or drop to 200 with fast and slow shutter speeds (in AV) on its own accord. Doesn't happen that often though...

Thanks for the input, CW.:Dthumb.gif
    edited July 4, 2009
    So we are going to see one more guy hanging around in "landscapes", more frequently ?

Congrats ! :ivar

Hi, Awais!

With the awesome stuff that's on the landscape forum...it may be a bit before posting my feable attempts.
  • ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Time to buy 16-35L or 17-40L or 14mm thumb.gif
    Congrats!
    Wish i have that camera :D
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    The Auto ISO works with the old shutter speed = 1/focal length "hand-holdability" formula and knows what your FL is and it works well for non-moving subjects. If you want to use it with a higher shutter speed than the minimum the formula suggests, you need to use shutter priority.

If Canon had updated the firmware to let you dial in a selectable minimum shutter speed when in Av (or M) it would have been fantastic for my people shots. They gave us manual exposure for movie mode instead—oh well.
    edited July 5, 2009
    Time to buy 16-35L or 17-40L or 14mm thumb.gif
    Congrats!
    Wish i have that camera :D

Thanks.:D

Right now 24 seems awful wide!clap.gif
    edited July 5, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    The Auto ISO works with the old shutter speed = 1/focal length "hand-holdability" formula and knows what your FL is and it works well for non-moving subjects. If you want to use it with a higher shutter speed than the minimum the formula suggests, you need to use shutter priority.

If Canon had updated the firmware to let you dial in a selectable minimum shutter speed when in Av (or M) it would have been fantastic for my people shots. They gave us manual exposure for movie mode instead—oh well.

Good info...thanks! thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Congrats, Ric clap.gif
    edited July 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Congrats, Ric clap.gif

Thanks, Andy. :D

Hopefully, I'll have something worth showing from this trip.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    This months Outdoor Photography talks about "never using auto iso". You should get use to choosing 100 200 400 or more. It's very easy to select on the fly, and it gives you much better creative power by balancing iso with aperture and shutter speed. You can read more about this in OP.
    edited July 6, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    This months Outdoor Photography talks about "never using auto iso". You should get use to choosing 100 200 400 or more. It's very easy to select on the fly, and it gives you much better creative power by balancing iso with aperture and shutter speed. You can read more about this in OP.

I would always select the lowest iso possible for the shot. You can easily do that even if you leave it in auto. If you leave it in auto every time you put the camera down...then you won't be caught with an inappropriate iso for those quick...no time to think shots.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    In any event, congratulations. It's on my wish list.

What motivated you buy a full framer Ric?
    edited July 7, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    In any event, congratulations. It's on my wish list.

What motivated you buy a full framer Ric?

Thanks.:D

Crop cameras like your 50D and my 40D make you back up too much for intimate shots. Today while on a pier that goes out to the light that shows the way into the canal at Sturgeon Bay, I was able to capture any and everything by carrying my 40D with the 100-400 and the 5D MKII with the 24-105. Seems like there are always shots I'd like to take but cannot depending on the gear.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    This months Outdoor Photography talks about "never using auto iso".

I would never use Auto ISO out of doors.