HDR and CS4

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited July 4, 2009 in Finishing School
I am in the process of setting up a photo processing / printing / photo display studio.

i don't use the CS4 HDR feature very much and thought I would take a few photos of the studio project. As expected the outside through the doors or windows is blown out.

I took 6 images 0 ev,-1, -2, +1, +2. I tried to use the HDR function but while it goes through a few gyrations, and a dialog box pops up asking for a white point setting? The final image does not show any increase in dynamic range over a single image?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Oh here is a quick snapshot of the project.

Sam

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited July 4, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    I am in the process of setting up a photo processing / printing / photo display studio.

i don't use the CS4 HDR feature very much and thought I would take a few photos of the studio project. As expected the outside through the doors or windows is blown out.

I took 6 images 0 ev,-1, -2, +1, +2. I tried to use the HDR function but while it goes through a few gyrations, and a dialog box pops up asking for a white point setting? The final image does not show any increase in dynamic range over a single image?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Oh here is a quick snapshot of the project.

Sam

The whitepoint setting only affects the rendering of the preview, not the final image, so don't waste time tweaking that. My experience is with CS3, but I'm not aware of major changes to HDR processing in CS4. The heart of the matter lies in the conversion from 32 bits to 16. If you use the local contrast option, you are given the opportunity to set a toning curve. This is where you can control the allocation of dynamic range.