Bradbury Building on Broadway, Los Angeles.

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited July 7, 2009 in Landscapes
We at LAShooters went for a quick shoot on the eve of the Fourth of July. Downtown LA also has a theater district called Broadway where they have grand old movie houses. Most are in poor shape but the Bradbury building is well maintained. It's an old Victorian building built in 1893 with really interesting architecture and often used in films. Probably the most famous is the Blade Runner starring Harrison Ford.
Here is some information on the place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradbury_Building

1. Looking toward the enterance.
582211103_p2STo-L.jpg

2. Love the brick, marble, and the ironworks.
582205573_DtPZQ-M.jpg

3. Mail chute.
582212580_p7Wwh-L.jpg

4. Ironworking.
582208197_4HYoU-L.jpg

5. Sorry, gotta throw in a flare shot.
582207160_Lxzaf-L.jpg

6. Looking up.
582216020_m4PRk-L.jpg

7. Guy walking down the street carrying a big cross.
581434557_FdUyE-L-1.jpg

Entire gallery of Broadway shots.
http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/1196989_nWqYT#179623497_rvLLT

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Beautiful series. Love that 2nd shot! The colors, the light, the comp...all come together wonderfully.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Thank you.
    I'm favoring the second shot as well.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Don't apologize! I love flare shots, and more so each day. I think that one is my favorite of the bunch.

Really, really beautiful building thumb.gif
    edited July 6, 2009
    Thanks.
    I was out mainly to test out a used Sigma 15-30mm I recently bought. It is known for flares so I was testing it out.
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    I really like this series. Wonderful details.
  • canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Very nice! I like #4 the most.

I don't think the flare is problematic here. I keep wondering however if there is some easy way of cleaning up unwanted flare that I haven't figured out yet. I have lost a lot of shots, mainly in the desert at wide angle, because of flare, and my own flailing attempts at cleaning don't work. I've gotten better at avoiding flare in the first place, but somehow I slip up every once in a while...
    edited July 7, 2009
    If you are using a filter, especially uncoated UV filter, I'd remove them. I'd also consider hoods and shading the light with your hand out of the field of view of the lens if possible. Often, slightly moving the lens can make dramatic difference in the flare you get.
  • canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    If you are using a filter, especially uncoated UV filter, I'd remove them. I'd also consider hoods and shading the light with your hand out of the field of view of the lens if possible. Often, slightly moving the lens can make dramatic difference in the flare you get.

Thanks. Been using those, and it has cut down a great deal, but still seems to be unavoidable in some shots... If only there were a 'Remove Flare' tool...
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Really like the series but #4 is my favorite. I love the light and shadows with the detail in the ironwork.