Used D2X or new D90?

syntec4syntec4 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited July 6, 2009 in Cameras
Hi all,
I have the opporunity to get another body. I currently have a D40. The money I have available puts me in the new D90 range or used D2X. Which would you go for?

Thanks.

Comments

• thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    D90, it has a better sensor (greater dynamic range, higher signal to noise ratio, greater tonal range, better light sensitivity, etc...). It will give you better images side by side.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    syntec4 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I have the opporunity to get another body. I currently have a D40. The money I have available puts me in the new D90 range or used D2X. Which would you go for?

Thanks.

Impossible to answer this question without knowing what you want to shoot.

Sports or birding and a D2X will outperform the D90. Particularly with long lenses. I'd never give up my pro body for these situations.

If you need high ISO performance, the D90 will outperform the D2X
  • syntec4syntec4 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Impossible to answer this question without knowing what you want to shoot.

Sports or birding and a D2X will outperform the D90. Particularly with long lenses. I'd never give up my pro body for these situations.

If you need high ISO performance, the D90 will outperform the D2X
    I don't specialize in any area, but the majority of my shots are of motorcycle shows and events, sometimes racing. But I also like walking and shooting the animals and views I see along the way. I use the Nikon 18-55, 70-300VR and will soon have the sigma 10-20.

The reason I looked at the D2 is because of the alloy chassis and the 'Pro' build quality. The D40 feels a bit fragile and I also have quite large hands, the D40 is very small.

I have a smugmug if you have the time.

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone, it's appreciated. bowdown.gif