Prime Wide Angle options

ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited July 5, 2009 in Cameras
Hey all,

Just would like to get your recommendation about the following options for prime wide angle lens(es):

1. TS-E 24mm + EF 15mm fisheye
2. EF 24mm
3. EF 35mm + EF 15mm
4. EF 14mm
5. TS-E 17mm
6. Another options [open for discussion]

I am planing to keep the budget say below $2000, but if it is worthy i can spend up to $2000 [more or less] for the best option above.

Comments

• holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    in my personal opinion, i think the sigma 15 fisheye out performs the canon.

i have:

tse 24
    sigma 15 fisheye
    canon 35L
    canon 14mm 2.8 II

ALl are excellent.
  • holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    you could do:

canon 24 TSE
    sigma 15 fisheye
    canon 35 f/2

for under 2000.
  • ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    holzphoto wrote:
    you could do:

canon 24 TSE
    sigma 15 fisheye
    canon 35 f/2

for under 2000.

How? I only buy NEW, no used.
    edited July 5, 2009
    Also i don't look at Sigma lenses at all, i have 2 before and never buy more [i sold 2 out of 4 Sigma lenses], and that 35 f2 is not in my list, i don't want it, i mostly will go with L lens except fisheye.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 5, 2009
    If you don't need AF then the Nikkor 14-24mm, f2.8G ED-IF AF-S has image quality to rival, or best, prime lenses from anyone, and you can get an adapter to allow aperture adjustment.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you don't need AF then the Nikkor 14-24mm, f2.8G ED-IF AF-S has image quality to rival, or best, prime lenses from anyone, and you can get an adapter to allow aperture adjustment.

100% in agreement—I own this guy and it's a game-changer of a lens.

Do you have an application for the TS-E? If not, it's a slower lens to carry unless you need its special charms. Having owned the 35L, it's a fave, but I often wished for the 24L's field of view. The mkII of the 24L is a huge improvement.

The big question is, do you need speed?
  • EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    wide angle lens
    Hi fellas ....Is the 16-35 f2.8 version 2 a good wideanlge for mthe 1DS MKIII
    Would like tot ipick this up
    Eddy
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Eddy wrote:
    Eddy

I liked it:

541144464_mKm2A-L.jpg
    edited July 5, 2009
    hehehe, i love people in all those forum as they are so smart, and they ask for more details and information before answering.

OK, i have 16-35, my best ultra wide angle zoo lens, and i am done with zooms.

I asked about those lenses because i want to shoot: Landscapes, Architectures, Urban, Cityscape, Interiors Designs,... so i feel i will need to have a special lens for fixing the distortion or get free distorted shots and i know what you will say then.
    Now with 15mm, in fact i love many fisheye results by this lens or similar, even i have Sigma 8mm but it is too fishy, it is circular fisheye and i want linear fisheye, and the lens 15mm is cheap anyway, so added to any lens less than $1500 is not a big deal anyway, 14mm is too wide that i don't use that much and my 16-35 is enough, even i have Sigma 12-24 if i really want somthing ultra wide, but ultra wide, speed, are not "Most Wanted" factors, also i may use AF or i mean apertrure in low light as i love nightshots and as i said interiors, now after that, what your recommendations will be?
    edited July 5, 2009
    Eddy wrote:
    Eddy

I had winner shots using my 16-35 [mk1] on either 5D or 1Ds MKII or 1Ds MKIII, my best shot ever i have taken was last year in New Zealand using 16-35 on 1DsMKIII.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 5, 2009
    You seem pretty well covered for wides but the Canon TS-E 24mm 1:3.5 L II has a few tricks that normal wide-angle lenses don't have. Tilt-and-shift is a fairly nice capability for both interiors and landscape panoramas.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 5, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    You seem pretty well covered for wides but the Canon TS-E 24mm 1:3.5 L II has a few tricks that normal wide-angle lenses don't have. Tilt-and-shift is a fairly nice capability for both interiors and landscape panoramas.

and exactly that what i will shoot including Architecture.

Don't know if you prefer 14mm or 35mm to shoot those over T&S.
    Also i love fishy results from 15mm so that i included, just i am idiot to add it as it is difenetly to be added to my collection, i will travel more next years and really there are many views that i want to use fisheye lenses on, New York is a great place to use lenses from 0mm up to 10000mm if available, and it will not be the last city i will visit anyway, too bad i didn't get any fisheye lens when i was in Paris, i will do amazes there with fisheye or lensbaby.