The Power of the P&S

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 11, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
582174668_SPois-X2.jpg

Canon SD 960 Point & Shoot, "Fireworks mode" 1.6 seconds, f/5.6, ISO 80, shot on a Gorillapod.

Click for more.

Comments

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    I too wanted to travel light, not knowing what type of crowds I would encounter, plus I was still trying to get over the flu and almost didn't even make it out to see fireworks live. I was pretty happy with this capture...

3688833493_c1fe39ef14_o.jpg
    Canon Powershot SX1 IS P&S, Fireworks mode, f/8, 8 seconds (+2EV), ISO80, Single image, SOOC (vertical crop) JPEG, shot on a cheap/broken tripod (no remote release or timer used)
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    I too wanted to travel light, not knowing what type of crowds I would encounter,
    Well done, Bill! clap.gif
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    That's pretty cool. It's awful nice when you can carry around a little P&S and still get some kick-butt shots.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Canon SD 960 Point & Shoot, "Fireworks mode" 1.6 seconds, f/5.6, ISO 80, shot on a Gorillapod.

Click for more.

Gorrrblimy!! that AWESOME clap.gifclap.gif
    My next trip to USA in November, I'm only taking my Canon SD 870IS
    Nicely capture Mr Williams :ivar
    I love fireworks shots ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    I too wanted to travel light, not knowing what type of crowds I would encounter, plus I was still trying to get over the flu and almost didn't even make it out to see fireworks live. I was pretty happy with this capture...

Canon Powershot SX1 IS P&S, Fireworks mode, f/8, 8 seconds (+2EV), ISO80, Single image, SOOC (vertical crop) JPEG, shot on a cheap/broken tripod (no remote release or timer used)

Hi Bill, this is a beauty too clap.gifclap.gif
    Those little PS's are really something else aren't they.
    I used mine a lot last year in USA, it's so handy to have,
    and especially when you do not want to lug all that heavy gear around.

I'm off to Disneyland in November and my Canon SD 870 is going to do me just fine for the trip, I purchased one for my mother last year, so we will have 2 to share with family on the trip, along with a VioPOV cam.

Both yours and Andy's shots are so colourful ...sighhh... I am looking forward to seeing some Disneyland Fireworks after seeing your shots guys.

Thank you for sharing clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    I am looking forward to seeing some Disneyland Fireworks after seeing your shots guys.

Thanks Skippy!

Not a P&S shot, but I've got a Disneyland fireworks shot posted here. You should be able to get a similar shot with a P&S because the exposure was only 2 seconds. The secret is a tripod or something to keep the camera very stable.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    Thanks Skippy!

Not a P&S shot, but I've got a Disneyland fireworks shot posted here. You should be able to get a similar shot with a P&S because the exposure was only 2 seconds. The secret is a tripod or something to keep the camera very stable.

Cool. I think I'm going to start a Favorite P&S thread.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    That's pretty cool. It's awful nice when you can carry around a little P&S and still get some kick-butt shots.
    nod.gif