Frigid Sunrise

dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
edited July 7, 2009 in Landscapes
I spent the other night hiking at Mt. Rainier. After pulling an all-nighter to get some star shots, I drove to Tipsoo Lake for sunrise. I was surprised by the amount of snow and ice that's still in the area.
The sunrise was absolutely gorgeous and I was the only one there to enjoy it. :D

582140692_TpYuF-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Really beautiful shot, Danny! I love Tipsoo Lake. It can be great during August also, when the wildflowers are out. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Very nice shot Danny. The breaking ice made a nice foreground for this composition.
    wendell
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Absolutely gorgeous! I was there this morning, hoping for a similar shot (I hadn't seen yours yet), the ice had melted (on Upper Tipsoo lake anyway), there was still snow around though. Also, this morning were three other people there, including one dip**** who kept walking into my frame. If the other two weren't there for witnesses I would have drowned him in the lake.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Great capture Danny; just gorgeous. I particularly like the coral reflections on the ice clap.gifclap.gif
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Really beautiful shot, Danny! I love Tipsoo Lake. It can be great during August also, when the wildflowers are out. thumb.gif

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
    edited July 6, 2009
    wendell wrote:
    Very nice shot Danny. The breaking ice made a nice foreground for this composition.
    wendell
    Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you like it.
    edited July 6, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Absolutely gorgeous! I was there this morning, hoping for a similar shot (I hadn't seen yours yet), the ice had melted (on Upper Tipsoo lake anyway), there was still snow around though. Also, this morning were three other people there, including one dip**** who kept walking into my frame. If the other two weren't there for witnesses I would have drowned him in the lake.
    It seems whenever you pull out a camera people will be as inconsiderate as possible. I'm telling you man, you should have gone a day sooner. It's pretty awesome having the place to yourself.
    edited July 6, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great capture Danny; just gorgeous. I particularly like the coral reflections on the ice clap.gifclap.gif

Thank you! I had to position my camera extremely low (probably about a foot above the water) to get the warm reflections from the mountain. I was a bit nervous as I was standing on ice that I hoped wouldn't break.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 6, 2009
    Nice shot and worth braving the elements for. thumb.gif Hard to believe it's still that cold up there this time of year.

-joel
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Thank you! I had to position my camera extremely low (probably about a foot above the water) to get the warm reflections from the mountain. I was a bit nervous as I was standing on ice that I hoped wouldn't break.

Woah, that ice looks pretty thin. The things photogs will do to get a shot rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited July 6, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Woah, that ice looks pretty thin. The things photogs will do to get shot rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I was thinking the exact same thing as I was walking out there. I'm usually too lazy to get out and do this kind of thing. I'm hoping that will change over this summer.
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    You definately captured the frigid. Looks like there was some nice alpenglow to work with.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited July 7, 2009
    You definately captured the frigid. Looks like there was some nice alpenglow to work with.

Thanks! Unfortunately I had to work quickly as the alpenglow only lasted a minute or two.