Lightroom 2

Lisa91Lisa91 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited July 5, 2009 in Finishing School
I use photoshop elements and I am thinking of up grading to lightroom. Any information that would help me make this move easier? What happens to my photos that I have in the organizer?

I also have a question about which noise software I should use?

Have a great night
Lisa
Lisa

http://futurestars.smugmug.com/

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that."
~~ Bill Shankly

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Lisa91 wrote:
    I use photoshop elements and I am thinking of up grading to lightroom. Any information that would help me make this move easier? What happens to my photos that I have in the organizer?

Have a great night
    Lisa
    Your photos are on your disk. While you can view them in Organizer, they are not "in" organizer. If you want to view them in Lightroom, you import them into Lightroom. You can then view them in Organizer or Lightroom. Or, in IrfanView, Faststone, or your computer system's viewer for that matter.

Any keywords you have associated with your images in Organizer will not be imported into Lightroom. You will have to start over there. However, judicious planning in the import process will allow you to keyword by group once in Lightroom. For example, if you have a lot of images of your cat, import them as a group, block them, and keyword the block.

I suggest, if you do add Lightroom, that you buy a book like Scott Kelby's "Lightroom 2 for Digital Photographers" and read up on the import and keyword process before you start importing. Planning before the import step can save you time and effort later.

The importing sequence/keywording process does not affect the editing process in Lightroom, but it can make a difference in how organized you will be.

You will, of course, still be able to edit your photos in Elements even though they have been imported into Lightroom. You can go back and forth in the editing. Lightroom is just giving you another view, and another editing process, for the photos that are on your disk. The photos themselves do not move from the C: directory where you have them now.
    (Or from the external drive you keep them on.)

If you edit an image in Lightroom, and want to add additional edits in Elements, you can do that by opening the file. The edited Lightroom version will not appear in Organizer, though, unless you import it to Organizer.
    I don't know why you'd want to, but you can.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 5, 2009
    Lisa91 wrote:

Have a great night
    Lisa

You can import any previous images into Lightroom so that they are in your database.

You may find Lightroom does most of what you need an image editor for. I use Lightroom2 and PS CS4. but many images never need to go into photoshop anymore.

There are a large number of Noise Reducing programs and plug ins. My favorite is Noiseware, and I have used Neat Image and Noise Ninja as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    I have both noiseware and noise ninja.

I really don't know much about noise or the processes to clean up that noise. With that in mind I really appreciate the simple nature of noiseware. I use noiseware standard edition. Only upgraded for batch processing and so EXIF info would stay intact.