Options

Horse PhotoShoot

Morning DuskMorning Dusk Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited July 8, 2009 in Sports
Thought i would post these photos that i took about two weeks ago. During the morning the sun wasn't cooperating but i managed (: thankfully the sun was fully out and i got some good shots. Comments & Critiques are always welcomed (:

3650784359_77856fed18.jpg

3692948602_0b23f7f684.jpg

3692948392_b6bd737ac7.jpg

3692145823_27b8998c75.jpg
" I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once "
-Ashleigh Brilliant

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited July 6, 2009
    Don't know much about horses but #3 looks good. A nit is that you've cut the foot off the horse though.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Hi. #3 and #4 are nice and you're right - with a slightly higher jump it's easier to get a longer hang time and rounder frame for the horse. #3 was just a hair too soon to get the back feet up but #4 is golden. Nicely done!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Agree with comments above, also would be nice if the person wasn't in the background of #1.
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    First of all, nice timing, which if you can't do that, hang up equestrian..

On number 1, note that when we follow a horse in motion, we tend to also zoom for the approach, then follow the horse up, cutting off the feet. You will find that the center point of the horse/rider combo is really that spot right below the rider's left foot. If you follow that and don't zoom to close, you won't cut the feet off. This would be even more evident in the full side view like in your number 3. (or zoom really tight and intentionally cut off the bottom half..) Also from this angle consider shooting portrait orientation.

Tendency is to follow the chest, neck, or head, which is why #4 is high..

This looks like you were practicing at a lesson, a great idea. When you do an actual show, just pick the angles that don't have outhouses and tractors to keep it pretty!

Nice work..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    First of all, nice timing, which if you can't do that, hang up equestrian..

On number 1, note that when we follow a horse in motion, we tend to also zoom for the approach, then follow the horse up, cutting off the feet. You will find that the center point of the horse/rider combo is really that spot right below the rider's left foot. If you follow that and don't zoom to close, you won't cut the feet off. This would be even more evident in the full side view like in your number 3. (or zoom really tight and intentionally cut off the bottom half..) Also from this angle consider shooting portrait orientation.

Tendency is to follow the chest, neck, or head, which is why #4 is high..

This looks like you were practicing at a lesson, a great idea. When you do an actual show, just pick the angles that don't have outhouses and tractors to keep it pretty!

Nice work..
    Great tips!!