Quick trip to Ruby Beach

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited July 6, 2009 in Landscapes
I spent Thursday night/Friday morning at Ruby Beach. Light wasn't great, so I experimented a little with the exposures (photos 2 and 3). Sunset was at peak high tide which made it difficult to shoot and basically eliminated any cool immediate foreground elements.

[rant]<rant>The moonlight after sunset was incredible, but my *#$!%!@#$@!$@! remote timer busted (I swear I go through one of these every 8 months - yeah, I'm hard on it, but give me a break!), and I was limited to 30 second exposures (nothing like f/5.6 at ISO 2000 for landscape photos...). Maybe when I grow up Canon will release a camera model that can do more than 30 second exposures in camera, though that would certainly diminish the sales over their overpriced, cheaply made piece of crap timers.</rant>[/rant]

#1:

583140462_QpfW4-L.jpg

#2:

583130555_jJHZ4-L.jpg

#3:

583137437_tVUMS-L.jpg

#4:

583136051_pA5iy-L.jpg

#5:

583142807_vFfys-L.jpg

#6:

583141941_RvgDy-L.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Great set Ron clap.gif I can't pick a favorite.

Now please explain about the timer. Why wouldn't you set camera on bulb and use a watchne_nau.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    #1 and #6 are sweet my man.

note to self...return to Seattle in Summer time and get Ron to take a couple days off. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Love the composition of #5!..
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great set Ron clap.gif I can't pick a favorite.

Now please explain about the timer. Why wouldn't you set camera on bulb and use a watchne_nau.gif

Thanks Dan. The problem isn't with the timer functionality of the switch, it's the entire switch itself, so I can't use it for anything at all. The wire is frayed from being pinched continually in my camera bag (and other places). I ordered a cheap switch (non-timer) which will cover 95% of my usage (exposures under 30 seconds) and will likely be destroyed in a year, as well as a timer which I'll use the other 5% of the time which will hopefully have a longer lifetime :D
    edited July 6, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    #1 and #6 are sweet my man.

note to self...return to Seattle in Summer time and get Ron to take a couple days off. deal.gif

I'm around, what are you waiting for? :D
    edited July 6, 2009
    scole wrote:
    Love the composition of #5!..

Thanks Steve. That was the only shot at sunrise that was actually decent. I'm going to try it again at sunset during low tide when the color will be even more dramatic.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Wow, again! What a great eye for composition you have, Ron. Plus your processing is top notch! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 6, 2009
    Wow.......... :wow
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Another nice set of images from you. The first is just stunning!

After seeing yours and Mahesh's shots from ONP I really want to try and get over there next weekend. If you can believe it, I've only been there twice in my life and both times it was very brief.
    edited July 6, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Wow, again! What a great eye for composition you have, Ron. Plus your processing is top notch! clap.gifthumb.gif

Thanks, Ruby Beach is amazing, there are so many compositions, even though I've shot there probably a dozen times it's different every time with the tides, wave action, light, etc..
    edited July 6, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Another nice set of images from you. The first is just stunning!

After seeing yours and Mahesh's shots from ONP I really want to try and get over there next weekend. If you can believe it, I've only been there twice in my life and both times it was very brief.

I was the same way, the first time I had shot at Olympic National park was about 15 months ago, and the first time I had shot at Hurricane Ridge was two *days* ago! Depending on the forecast and tides, I might go there this weekend too. Drop me a line and I'll let you pay for half of the gas :D